Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Hurrah for Winter? Late Winter/Early Spring Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grass is definitely greening up

We're way ahead this year in terms of the transition to spring compared to 2015, 2014, and 2013. Everything was still conpletely dead those years; this season, I see green grass, daffodils, crocus, and the red buds on the maples.

If the warmth continues, we could be headed for an early leaf-out. The earliest I remember was 2010 when Southern Westchester was mostly leafed out by 4/15. 2012 also has a ridiculously early spring. Average leaf-out for my area is around the last week of April into the first week of May.

some late March snowfalls around my birthday in my lifetime...

3/27-28/1959...around an inch of sleet and snow the evening of the 27th and into the early am hours of the 28th...(my birthday)...I was 10 and remembering walking in the sleet and seeing a little snow on the ground Easter Morning the 29th...The next storm was Easter Sunday 3/29/1970...Rain developed in the early am hours and changed to snow in the late morning...4" accumulated before it ended...10" just outside the city...the next storm was 3/29/1974...with no snow in the forecast it was raining but the temperature was dropping...I was thinking snow and it did change to snow and accumulated over 3"...I measured 9" in the Poconos after I drove up there that evening...the next storm was 3/28-29/1984...A very power full storm with 3-4" of a mix in the city to 26" in the Poconos...the next is 3/28-29/1996...snow developed the evening of the 28th and changed to rain and sleet...The next morning the rain and sleet changed to snow and accumulated 2-4"...

If the long range GFS was accurate, we would have just had the snowiest and coldest winter ever in history....

It's actually performed better than the Euro the last 2 weeks. The Euro was totally against this cool down coming this week that the GFS was advertising and it ultimately caved it to big time a few days back

some late March snowfalls around my birthday in my lifetime...

3/27-28/1959...around an inch of sleet and snow the evening of the 27th and into the early am hours of the 28th...(my birthday)...I was 10 and remembering walking in the sleet and seeing a little snow on the ground Easter Morning the 29th...The next storm was Easter Sunday 3/29/1970...Rain developed in the early am hours and changed to snow in the late morning...4" accumulated before it ended...10" just outside the city...the next storm was 3/29/1974...with no snow in the forecast it was raining but the temperature was dropping...I was thinking snow and it did change to snow and accumulated over 3"...I measured 9" in the Poconos after I drove up there that evening...the next storm was 3/28-29/1984...A very power full storm with 3-4" of a mix in the city to 26" in the Poconos...the next is 3/28-29/1996...snow developed the evening of the 28th and changed to rain and sleet...The next morning the rain and sleet changed to snow and accumulated 2-4"...

Wasn't there a lot of thunder snow in the 1970 Easter Sunday affair?

Seems always that the pundits always declare no more snow after super high temps for a week.

Just keep in mind NYC has had winter storm warnings as late as April 19th or so back in 1983 where the city did accumulate a few inches.

We had a blizzard in April 1982 with over 10 inches in NYC

There is still a good 3 -4 weeks of possibility.

Regardless, it is amazing NYC, JFK, Islip might end up with more snow than Binghamton and Albany.

Guest Pamela

NYC hasn't had a 6 inch or greater snowstorm after March 5th since 1993. Just goes to show how warm Marches

have been getting. Had a nice string from 1982 to 1993 when there was more cold available.

Per the record book, the mean March snowfall at KNYC was 3.9" from 1981 - 2010.  However, from 1994 - 2015 it increased to 4.3 inches. 

Guest Pamela

Per the record book, the mean March snowfall at KNYC was 3.9" from 1981 - 2010.  However, from 1994 - 2015 it increased to 4.3 inches. 

Moreover at OKX (WSO Upton) the 65 year mean March snowfall is 6.7".  However in the 1994 - 2015 period, it increased to 6.8". 

Guest Pamela

The only jewel missing from the 2000's snowfall crown at NYC so far is a late season blizzard like 4-6-82.

NYC has had no trouble producing historic snowfall from late October right though February since the 2000's

record snowfall streak began. But mid-March on has been lackluster so far.

There were two excellent April snow months to the east of Central Park in that 1994 - 2015 interval...more than 16 inches fell out at Upton in two separate snowstorms in April 1996.  April 2003 saw Upton pick up another 5.5 inches.  Lastly, there was that 5 to 6 inch event in Suffolk County on the last day of March in 2014.

April snow has always been hard to come by in NYC; especially in the post war era. 

Guest Pamela

There were two excellent April snow months to the east of Central Park in that 1994 - 2015 interval...more than 16 inches fell out at Upton in two separate snowstorms in April 1996.  April 2003 saw Upton pick up another 5.5 inches.  Lastly, there was that 5 to 6 inch event in Suffolk County on the last day of March in 2014.

April snow has always been hard to come by in NYC; especially in the post war era. 

And of course, there was the great blizzard of 3/31/1997 - 4/1/1997...with several feet over the interior...the record says Upton measured 4 inches of snow....but all I recall was mixed rain & snow here.

Guest Pamela

And of course, there was the great blizzard of 3/31/1997 - 4/1/1997...with several feet over the interior...the record says Upton measured 4 inches of snow....but all I recall was mixed rain & snow here.

And who could forget the April 19 - 20th, 1983 event...just a year after the famous April blizzard, low pressure developed off Hatteras and spun north.  3 inches of very late season snow blanketed parts of the Island before a change to rain; Albany saw 8 inches...the Poconos upwards of 2 feet. 

NYC hasn't had a 6 inch or greater snowstorm after March 5th since 1993. Just goes to show how warm Marches

have been getting. Had a nice string from 1982 to 1993 when there was more cold available.

I had almost 7" in April 2003 on S.I....April 1982 and 2003 are the only time it snowed during the mid day and accumulated...both times snow was on the ground and temperatures failed to get out of the 30's...I was to young to remember 1956 and 57...

Guest Pamela

Upton has been on the winning side of more snowstorms since 2000 than points further west.

I would love to see an OKX/BNL vs POU or MMU year by year snowfall tally going back to 1980.

6"+ snowstorms after March 5th have been lacking in NYC since 1994. Its the only part of the

snowfall season that hasn't set records since 2000.

Here is Upton / OKX:

https://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

I don't even know if they measure snow up at Stewart Field or the airport in Morristown anymore...

The last three Marches have all been below normal temperatures.

March 2015 had a 20" snowpack with 18" snowfall.

March 2014 was the coldest March on record in NNE.

March 2013 had significant snowfalls on 3/8 and 3/19.

So we've had a pretty decent stretch of wintry Marches.

Archived