• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

Just drove from Western Loudoun to Chantilly area. Snow really started picking back up and everything is sticking to the roads. Places that have been plowed are getting re-covered. If we get liquid precip it is going to be very dangerous as it'll be ice almost immediately. I would not get out on the roads this evening.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mid-Atlantic folks,

Now that we beginning to get into the now-casting/obs aspect of this upcoming storm, I wanted to introduce my new tool that compares real radar to simulated HRRR and NAM4km radar. Check it out!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-14 at 10.11.52 PM.png

www.jmmweather.com/HRRR.html

www.jmmweather.com/NAM.html

ne_diff_nam_radar.png

Very nice, thanks.

Even nicer is the steady moderate snow.

4-6" for DC mentioned in the watch...nice.

Glad to see you guys enjoying a very good winter.

Good luck!

Not sure this is an overall "very good winter" (though that's a source of disagreement among many of us), but it's nice to get a moderate event out of this before the ark gets broken out!

I think the jack zones are benefitting 2 ways. Qpf under done a little but ratios most likely a good bit above 10:1. Wouldn't be surprised at 15:1 or maybe even higher.

Makes sense. I definitely wasn't anticipating this much precip early. Ahh, weather. so humbling. Or at least it tries.

Ray is just continuing a tradition of 40N telling us how good our winter is.

I don't see it as being condescending like others can be because, in his defense, he was calling for above normal down here (and normal to below normal up there) well before the season started. Looking like a good call in general.

I don't see it as being condescending like others can be because, in his defense, he was calling for above normal down here (and normal to below normal up there) well before the season started. Looking like a good call in general.

:lol:

Matt just likes to break my balls.

I'm being honest.....I'm glad you guys are doing well.

We've had our stretch.

The nam twins did a good job with the general look of the trajectory and jack zones. I think I got lucky last night in my area. Was a nice 1am walk for sure.

We took advantage of the good look too.. that hudson to davis ridge. Talked about it but just didn't expect the precip so much so early. Oh well. Will be fun to watch the people who had the main event cold spin to victory. I get beef from a few but at least I admit when I am wrong.

bOrOz92.png

Archived