joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe that storm is still 8 days away.

Euro does have it starting around 162...a little earlier. GFS around 156.

That doesn't undermine your point though. This is an eternity and there will definitely be a few who get sucked into thinking it's more of a certainty to track a specific way than it actually is.

Haha oh is 192 as far as TropicalTidbits goes?

Gotta start following that model as you've been pretty adamant this winter about its usefulness.

I exaggerate a bit because of all the "garbage model" comments when it's really not a garbage model. It seems to line up closer to the Euro than the GFS most of the time, and that usually is a good thing.

I was looking at the 12z Ukmet at 144 and it definitely supports the Euro over the GFS as well, particularly wrt the Quebec/Ontario high pressure.

Over 1" liquid for us on the mean. Not bad for d8.

Mean snowfall maps look sweet.  Best signal of the winter up here.  10-12"+ for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, Western Maine with 6" down to BOS and then west along the CT/MA border.

That's a ski area run right there.  6-10" on the Maine coastal plain up to the foothills and down towards NH lakes region and south.

This is like another case though where the mean maps look more like climo than anything.  Most of the long range threats on the mean always look more snowy up here for whatever reason whether or not it works out.

Mean snowfall maps look sweet.  Best signal of the winter up here.  10-12"+ for the Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, Western Maine with 6" down to BOS and then west along the CT/MA border.

That's a ski area run right there.  6-10" on the Maine coastal plain up to the foothills and down towards NH lakes region and south.

This is like another case though where the mean maps look more like climo than anything.  Most of the long range threats on the mean always look more snowy up here for whatever reason whether or not it works out.

This season has trained us to be skeptical of favorable solutions at this time range, but I'd be surprised if neither ALB or BTV come out of this with the biggest event of the year.

There remains a chance the Monday system impacts the next one, odds are it would be a favorable impact because if it bombed out over eastern Canada it could result in a 50/50 feature.

I'm not convinced we don't see massive corrections toward one or the other as dominant, either.  

Also... something rattling around as after thoughts that I can't dim in mind, and that's that big time events almost never occur on a Wednesday.  ..ha, 'course, this winter i think the yokes would settle for a couple of nickles and dimes just the same...

I'm sure that's not universally true or by natural law (heh), but the weekend rule isn't just an affectation.  I read somewhere that it has to do with pollution build up in the atmosphere providing large aerosol counts for cloud seeding but the memory of the source is vague.  

interesting - 

I'm not convinced we don't see massive corrections toward one or the other as dominant, either.  

Also... something rattling around as after thoughts that I can't dim in mind, and that's that big time events almost never occur on a Wednesday.  ..ha, 'course, this winter i think the yokes would settle for a couple of nickles and dimes just the same...

I'm sure that's not universally true or by natural law (heh), but the weekend rule isn't just an affectation.  I read somewhere that it has to do with pollution build up in the atmosphere providing large aerosol counts for cloud seeding but the memory of the source is vague.  

interesting - 

Its going to be a hump day humdinger

This season has trained us to be skeptical of favorable solutions at this time range, but I'd be surprised if neither ALB or BTV come out of this with the biggest event of the year.

Wouldn't take much... ALB needs what a 2" event and BTV needs like a 5" event to make biggest of season? 

Could definitely see that though.

It is, That was more tongue and cheek as it never pans out here as well, I'm sure you would also rather not see another ice storm like 1998

As a weenie I enjoy most weather extremes.  As a forester, I view ice storms with exquisite loathing.

Late to the 12z party, but gfs (via meteostar) was puke-worthy, with that 24-25 storm drenching my area with 2" of mid-30s RA on NE winds (southerly aloft.)  Though the ingredients are much much different than 6 years ago, were that to verify the sensible wx would stink just as bad.

Looking at the individual EPS members...man I wish I could lock most of those in, haha.  Although it does seem like there's two camps, like weak and east (almost non-events) and there are an awful lot that drill the low right through NYC and mix even up here.  Lots of them have some impressive WAA snows for everyone to the north of the low before mix or change over and dryslot.  Just huge plume of moisture shooting due north up the coast so you get widespread 6"+ of snow while the low is still down near the Delmarva.

Seems like roughly 50% of them track over land somewhere in the northeast from PA/NY into New England (I saw one as far west as the UP of Michigan lol)...while 25% pretty much have a non-event and then another 25% go to town over the Benchmark.

Archived