SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with "Tendencies" is that why should we use them?

Last year everything went right before 3 weeks and then it changed in late Feb/Mar....in 2011 we had epic January and early February, then it changed....in 2006-2007 we had a deplorable first half and then it changed. In 2012-2013 we had an awful first half (on the coast anyway, not interior) and then it changed.

I kind of liked late Feb and March last year with 19 inches of snow and depth added with deep cold. But yea seriously 

The thing with "Tendencies" is that why should we use them?

Last year everything went right before 3 weeks and then it changed in late Feb/Mar....in 2011 we had epic January and early February, then it changed....in 2006-2007 we had a deplorable first half and then it changed. In 2012-2013 we had an awful first half (on the coast anyway, not interior) and then it changed.

Maybe it's the Inter-Mountain West method of forecasting a la inversion breaking. Go with persistence, that way you're only wrong once, when the tendency fails? Ha

All global models suck on thermals when a strong high is in place it seems. The Euro just sucks slightly less, but even it tends to be too warm most of the time

They have their weaknesses..but it's amazing how piss poor the GFS is. Way too warm. I understand it's all relative. I'm not saying the GFS has 950mb temps of +10 when it should be 0C, but compared to other guidance...Oye Vey.

Ginxy already beat me to it. I was curious after Tip's post, and subsequently looked up the days of the week where the most extreme winter storm events struck NE. While most have occured on a weekend, some of the most intense have not. As Ginxy noted, the blizzards of 1978 and 2015 being most notable.

Here are helpful links for this research:

http://www.dayoftheweek.org/?m=January&d=27&y=2015&go=Go#axzz40SisZR3A

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

Looking at the NESIS site, it's pretty obvious why most major storms occur on a weekend...it's because they all affected the broader northeast region over 3 or more days. So you are already starting with odds of at least one weekend day falling within that period just based on the math of it.

They have their weaknesses..but it's amazing how piss poor the GFS is. Way too warm. I understand it's all relative. I'm not saying the GFS has 950mb temps of +10 when it should be 0C, but compared to other guidance...Oye Vey.

The GFS will always miss overrunning snow beyond 96-108 on systems that go snow to rain. I'm sure it's similar in SNE but down here you usually see no sign of overrunning snow til inside day 5, prior to that its always a rain event, even with a strong high in place. The AVN used to do that all the time as well, the difference was the AVN did it til inside 48-60 hours.

Looking at the NESIS site, it's pretty obvious why most major storms occur on a weekend...it's because they all affected the broader northeast region over 3 or more days. So you are already starting with odds of at least one weekend day falling within that period just based on the math of it.

That's a great point.. Thanks for that.  Sometimes, the most obvious explanation is the one that's missed.

That would probably be a horrific icestorm outside of 128 on the GFS (we toss the low level thermals on that model) with good snow on the front and back ends.

I doubt it plays out like that but that synoptic setup with the long extended sfc warm front ahead of the main low has been on just about every model today. So it's something to watch if it is still there when we get a couple days closer.

Link to the 125 comments like you. We get it dude your winter has sucked, move on, pretty sweet period coming.

Haha I'm optimistic. Would enjoy a 4"+ pure snow event.

I'll post the link to the 2011-2012 threads in the banter thread. 125 comments on winter sucking is not hard to find that winter. But again move to Banter.

That would probably be a horrific icestorm outside of 128 on the GFS (we toss the low level thermals on that model) with good snow on the front and back ends.

I doubt it plays out like that but that synoptic setup with the long extended sfc warm front ahead of the main low has been on just about every model today. So it's something to watch if it is still there when we get a couple days closer.

I enjoy the 56 degree temp at TAN 12z Wednesday morning.

Maybe it's the Inter-Mountain West method of forecasting a la inversion breaking. Go with persistence, that way you're only wrong once, when the tendency fails? Ha

Not a bad approach. I just think if you know your "base audience" up here (every skier and snowboarder is monitoring every keystroke of the NWS), and yes I think those with outdoor recreation interests are their biggest group, you are going to make damn sure it will snow before getting folks hopes up. It's almost like a Blizz/DIT devil's advocate scenario...if you say it won't snow and it does you still "win" for a huge portion of the population up here. From hotels, lodging, shops, anyone related to tourism, 75% of the public skis/snowboards/snowmobiles, everyone would be much more pleased with a positive snow bust than the opposite. Probably one of the rare areas where a social media poll might actually show that, haha.

If you say it's going to snow and it doesn't, I think you're more likely to hear about it. This isn't Boston where if you mess up the evening commute forecast you get castrated, haha.

It's useful if you know where it fails, but you definitely can't rip and read it.

The low level temps are its major kryptonite. It is so bad with those. They increased the horizontal resolution but it didn't really help...it really probably needs more vertical resolution I think.

It is what it is, an inferior model to the Euro. It's not all of a sudden going to start consistently banging out better verification.

It's not like it is a stagnant object though. Both models are constantly being worked on and upgraded. It's more analogous to a race and we are losing.

Archived