joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS should be getting some big upgrades. I think they're doubling the vertical levels to 128 and increasing the horz res to about 10km. I'm not sure a "hybrid" 4DVAR will cut it, but we'll see I guess.

I'm salivating over that Monday system. The 18z GFS would have a really nice ribbon of +SN just north of that H7 track.

lol, I would vote that all the useless models be scrapped or run 2 a day. Get rid of the 3 dozen climate models save a few, put that computing money into upgrade. Sorry to the tech in Ray's basement

over the past six seasons on here I have seen the struggle with what the outcomes of thermal profiles will actually be for so many events largely due to guidance that you cannot trust which is a case of what is called modeling vs meteorology

just seems that in this day and age of superior technology it should not be so frustrating

the only thing which seems to be certain is that mid level warmth often comes in quicker than modeled

for sne and cne and nyc to mid atlantic this is important in the winter as a fair percentage of winter wx events involve changeovers and mixed precip

The GFS should be getting some big upgrades. I think they're doubling the vertical levels to 128 and increasing the horz res to about 10km. I'm not sure a "hybrid" 4DVAR will cut it, but we'll see I guess.

I'm salivating over that Monday system. The 18z GFS would have a really nice ribbon of +SN just north of that H7 track.

Still catching up to Euro track

We've stated for many years. You can make a better and more accurate forecast by never using any GFS related product. I challenge mets to try it. You will become instant heroes

Someday NCEP will figure it out. We're getting to the point where the model errors are very small and very close with one another inside of 1-2d. The euro isn't lightyears ahead like it was a decade ago so we've been seeing more random models scoring coups inside of that time range.

I know higher ups are pretty excited about it, but in the end it just keeps us a step behind the ECMWF with their upgrade.

Any chance Monday can gain some strength and sink south a bit? Plow truck broke down and the extra 2 days to fix it would be nice.

Archived