• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

Can we start a new one?  It's a great idea to focus model speculation and commentary (I think..); not so much a good idea to let it carry out to over a 100 pages.   There's probably a lot of fascinating philosophies and interpretations that will never be seen due to the fact that no one has the band-width to devote so much of their lives to circa page 50 whatever... 

By the way, ... it appears I was in error yesterday when I spoke of 'two threats' in the middle to extended range. 

I was in fact, upon closer inspection, looking at the same dern wave spacing ...just that the ensembles of the GFS were handling it in different times enough to throw me off.  ha. Sorry. 

Anyway, just fyi - NCEP seems to favor the idea of winter storm for the east next week.  

Frankly I like the flat-open waves with huge velocity wind maxes.... They can tend to break along narrow latitudes and do so with huge energetic results when they do.  There are few of these in the annuls; one of the better I remember was November 1986... of course, who can forget Dec 2005...  This could actually be more of a Miller A, in which case no so much NJ... One thing in common among the guidance though is that the trough tries to reach it's greatest amplitude (using a mean) around 80 W, which is intriguing. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the previous thread the Euro is definitely giving signals this storm next week will be a cutter. I have no reason to bet against the streak. We have either been missed to the south and east or have seen brutal cutters. I don't think this will play out much differently with the exception of a sloppy mess in spots at the start.

As I said in the previous thread the Euro is definitely giving signals this storm next week will be a cutter. I have no reason to bet against the streak. We have either been missed to the south and east or have seen brutal cutters. I don't think this will play out much differently with the exception of a sloppy mess in spots at the start.

it's definitely hard to knock persistence, sure.  

But, you 'kinda' 'sorta' a little bit contradict ur-self there :)     ...just 'cause logically, you also mention some going too far SE - you gave ur-self the reason go against the cutter  - 

it's okay though, i knew what you mean.  ha.   

i think the trend that's hard to buck is feeling like nothing will happen at all...  

it's definitely hard to know persistence, sure.  

But, you 'kinda' 'sorta' a little bit contradict ur-self there :)     ...just 'cause logically, you also mention some going too far SE - you gave ur-self the reason go against the cutter  - 

it's okay though, i knew what you mean.  ha.   

i think the trend that's hard to buck is feeling like nothing will happen at all...  

And the +NAO is to blame for both

sounds like we have to hope for squalls the next couple days and a miracle on saturday or its done for a good while...the euro ultimate track im sure is not right but nothing sounds snowy to me even with better tracks if the upper levels are torched it doesnt matter outside of elevated areas and that requires that those "better" tracks get enough moisture and dynamics nw

this day two or three that things have looked pretty ugly ....el nino may be flexing his biceps once again

Just hoping for a net gain in both snowfall and pack. Cutters are ok as long as there's some sort of front end dump.

This is probably the absolute worst type of setup to have a cutter....because there's almost zero CAD so we don't get one of those nice front end thumps followed by a brief warmup before the cold front whisks everything away....we'll want to hope this just ends up tracking more east....unless there's a synoptic change in the CAD setup.

And the +NAO is to blame for both

Its to blame for the cutters.  Will and I had a great discussion about that the other day.

We'd be doing quite well this winter with a -NAO as all those cutters we have had this winter would've likely been forced under us....or at least heavy front end dumps going to mix and ending or something.  I really think that would've made a difference this winter.  Of course the southern stream lows would've been even further southeast possible... but we've had plenty of cutter and rain events that if they were more on the wintery side and forced under us, this winter would have a whole different appeal.

This is probably the absolute worst type of setup to have a cutter....because there's almost zero CAD so we don't get one of those nice front end thumps followed by a brief warmup before the cold front whisks everything away....we'll want to hope this just ends up tracking more east....unless there's a synoptic change in the CAD setup.

Its like we were talking about where having a -NAO would really help with those lows this season.

Those systems where the H85 0C line just digs in near ALB and is very hard to move NE so you get like 0.5-1.0" QPF shoved into that airmass before it vacates as the low triple points and goes out under SNE and mid-level lows are forced from ALB to CAR instead of BUF to Montreal.

what irks me to no end ...  

the last system, the big bomb that for all intents and purposes missed SNE; that one had no business doing that by classical sysnoptics.  the ridge over western N/A was holding stationary and the trough in the east just kep stretching the total long-wave, wave length ... really weird actually. 

so now this one, the ridge in west is progressive; so what does the models do, cut!   

Yes, Its still in beta but suppose to go live sometime in March

so you're intimating that it should be reasonably accurate - okay.  

i wonder if there is a para ensemble suite, too.   because 968 mb is a waaaaaaay exotic outlier compared to any technology at mankind's disposal - ha

so you're intimating that it should be reasonably accurate - okay.  

i wonder if there is a para ensemble suite, too.   because 968 mb is a waaaaaaay exotic outlier compared to any technology at mankind's disposal - ha

It should be as long as they get the data, It only runs at 0z and sometimes it doesn't because of loss data, The Para EPS was a runner at 0z

Archived