joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, when we say cutter, do you mean the ski resorts in the Catskills, DACKS, Berks and Greens will all change over to freezing rain/rain? I think cutter is synonymous with Apps runner which means all ski resorts change over. I'm not concerned about a little sleet.

Thanks,

Jason

Dacks have best shot, N greens will have wrap around / upslope snow after low passes.

We've had some very strong inside runners with a +NAO and -PNA. This is a storm where the LLJ is very strong thanks to a very strong horizontal thermal gradient. You don't need a 970 low to produce a 90kt jet at 850.

I won't deny that. But I'm looking at where this is modeled now, relative to where the teleconnections are trending. There's a difference...i.e. if this was currently modeled to run through Detroit, I'd write it off as a cutter...

This also doesn't run north until its near the east coast, which a +NAO is good at inhibiting...

I won't deny that. But I'm looking at where this is modeled now, relative to where the teleconnections are trending. There's a difference...i.e. if this was currently modeled to run through Detroit, I'd write it off as a cutter...

This also doesn't run north until its near the east coast, which a +NAO is good at inhibiting...

It is certainly possible it may end up a bit east of where models have it now. However, the S-N track just furnaces so much of New England. I'm sure the interior, especially nrn ORH county, Berks into NNE may get ice after any snow, but it's such a sh*t track.

The PV this weekend just flies north and allows that s/w to really dig and pump up heights over the east.

It is certainly possible it may end up a bit east of where models have it now. However, the S-N track just furnaces so much of New England. I'm sure the interior, especially nrn ORH county, Berks into NNE may get ice after any snow, but it's such a sh*t track.

The PV this weekend just flies north and allows that s/w to really dig and pump up heights over the east.

Yea we'll see. But that level of warmth is a function of an intense system, generating signficant WAA out ahead of it. The track I laid out above implies a much weaker system than is currently modeled. That's not to say many areas in the NE will still be too warm, however...

I'll put it this way--if this system doesn't begin trending south, east and weaker over time, by tomorrow, I'll be quite surprised...

Yea we'll see. But that level of warmth is a function of an intense system, generating signficant WAA out ahead of it. The track I laid out above implies a much weaker system than is currently modeled. That's not to say many areas in the NE will still be too warm, however...

I'll put it this way--if this system doesn't begin trending south, east and weaker over time, by tomorrow, I'll be quite surprised...

Hopefully it's weaker and further east. The NNE resorts would get decimated on some of these runs.

he follows Forky around like a puppy to his master. Like clockwork. There is a threat on the board in the 8-10 day period. The warmer temps he refers to are associated with the cutter, then what?

Odd creatures.

I thought this winter would be active but playing the thermal line..looks like the case coming up. Won't be snowpack type stuff but I'll take my chances with my hand over the burning stove. I'll prob burn the hair off my arm and melt my skin in the process, but fok it...we have nothing to lose.

Difficult to say with much detail--my only confidence is in saying this likely isn't a cutter..

But my gut says I'd take the 850 mb low at hr 108 on the 18z GFS and slide that ENE/NE, and maintain it as an intense open wave, going over NJ/LI, and continue that trajectory to near Cape Cod.

Would mean a snowier/colder solution for many folks in the interior and NNE.

Hope you're right man, My feeling has been a CC track with snow even for coast, to ice inland then cold rain. But the worry is there for a screamer over HRV

You shouldn't be.

Dacks have best shot, N greens will have wrap around / upslope snow after low passes.

At least this system occurs early in the week which gives me enough time to plan on where to go skiing the weekend of Feb 20th.

I am in disbelief that I actually have recieved more snow here on LI than many/most ski resorts from Killington south. Unheard of pushing mid-Feb! I hope this trends East. I would easily sacrifice a coastal hugger/rainer IMBY for my NNE brethren and the ski resorts. The only thing worse than a Wiff is the dreaded Apps Runner.

-Jason

Just looking at things for the first time.  All I can do is shake my head and laugh.

Good news is that we're only 9.5 months away from the start of met winter.  Maybe next year will be legit.

5.7/-5

Well, if there is any significant shift E in the models the next few days we (especially you), would have the best shot in SNE of seeing accumulating snow.

Archived