• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

So many people are concerned about the positive NAO, but wouldnt the negative AO and positive PNA keep the storm off the coast and therefore a colder solution?

I think nao is overrated...Esp if we have a nice EPO pna combo. If the west isn't ideal then yea, a -nao helps. But over the past couple winters, I've come to realize I'd rather have better pacific first and foremost.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think nao is overrated...Esp if we have a nice EPO pna combo. If the west isn't ideal then yea, a -nao helps. But over the past couple winters, I've come to realize I'd rather have better pacific first and foremost.

EPO/PNA combo is higher importance if you have to pick one...but the last 3 weeks or so should be strong evidence that the NAO is very important too. This cutter, plus the one on 2/3 are prime examples of storms that would have been much bigger winter events if we had a NAO block....or in the case of today, even a transient NAO ridge.

We risk more cutters in the upcoming pattern with the +NAO...we'll have the -EPO/+PNA at least, but it's possible we get another storm up the Hudson or through the eastern lakes too.

lol after the past few winters I almost feel the exact opposite.

I used to think a -NAO was a suppressed track for us but at least those winters didn't rain 5-6 times in DJF, haha. Whatever has happened lately has been very suppressed except when it rains, so that's about the worst combo.

lol after the past few winters I almost feel the exact opposite.

I used to think a -NAO was a suppressed track for us but at least those winters didn't rain 5-6 times in DJF, haha. Whatever has happened lately has been very suppressed except when it rains, so that's about the worst combo.

Lol. Funny cuz I use to think -nao is the most important factor for snow imby but then past couple winters changed my thinking. I guess recent success or lack there of, alters our view on what indices matter most. Lol.

But yea, I think there is a balancing act that works. Good blocking, like Will said, can help off set unfavorable storm tracks but it can also surpress. Then again, great EPO pna combo may result in storms that are perfect for eastern zones ala 2015 and not so good for you or me.

Even though I didn't cash in on any big events here recently it still was deep winter with a great pacific so I'll take my chances with it anytime I guess.

Lol. Funny cuz I use to think -nao is the most important factor for snow imby but then past couple winters changed my thinking. I guess recent success or lack there of, alters our view on what indices matter most. Lol.

Oh without a doubt it does. Which is why I'm all for La Niña (2010-2011, 2007-2008) as those have been our snowier winters over the past ten years. This warm ENSO hasn't been getting it done the last couple winters so I now want to take my chance with Nina haha.

Keep working it until you find a combo of teleconnections that brings the goods haha.

Oh without a doubt it does. Which is why I'm all for La Niña (2010-2011, 2007-2008) as those have been our snowier winters over the past ten years. This warm ENSO hasn't been getting it done the last couple winters so I now want to take my chance with Nina haha.

Keep working it until you find a combo of teleconnections that brings the goods haha.

And at the very least we won't lose to the Mid Atlantic again. ;)

Ya. Eventually when blocking returns and I'm buried in thigh high snows, I'll claim how awesome -nao is for my hood, hehe.

So many people are concerned about the positive NAO, but wouldnt the negative AO and positive PNA keep the storm off the coast and therefore a colder solution?

Short answer is probably. People tend to put too much emphasis on the NAO when it's merely a contributing factor that can and often is offset by others

That could be an  interesting evolution with a deeply embedded cold column

Yeah, would seem to be an elevation setup for a couple inches... BL questionable... 

In general I just like the look of chilly air in Canada being driven into a relatively zonal and northerly displaced southern jet.   Should induce some weak cyclogenesis and scoot east in the wake of the clipper. 

Wouldnt that be a bit too far NW though? In terms of its a coastal hugger I mean

Well if this tried to track up into SNE then yeah, it's a problem...we don't have a frigid high north of Maine. We also don't have any NAO blocking. It will need to take a manageable track...but if it does, it should be plenty cold. If you are describing a track like over the Cape or Islands as "hugger", then I would think that would be fine for the interior...but it always depends on mid-level track too. How stacked the system is.

edit: and what ginx said...it's day 9. The synoptics can change many times before then.

Archived