joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several huggers in recent years had smallish precip shields too...we get a track over the Cape and BOS is still getting snow.

At any rate, this is about the most I've seen a 192 hour solution analyzed on here. :lol:

The general prospects for some type of storm though in that period within a couple hundred miles of SE New England seems fairly high.

Haha this winter has left a lot to be desired... not a ton of real-time threats to analyze so we dig deep on the fantasy storms :lol:.

i don't think there is anything pasty about that solution anyway - 

Neither do I...not with that arctic high to the NW. Maybe pasty for a time before the flip right on the coast, but we're talking a transitory period of that. Not a long duration paste job. Anyone west of the CF in that type of setup is like 17-22F blown powder. (to perhaps 22F sleet pellets if the mid-levels intrude for a time)

Neither do I...not with that arctic high to the NW. Maybe pasty for a time before the flip right on the coast, but we're talking a transitory period of that. Not a long duration paste job. Anyone west of the CF in that type of setup is like 17-22F blown powder. (to perhaps 22F sleet pellets if the mid-levels intrude for a time)

I know - really it comes down to which direction the vectors are pointing ...which in turn means the cold air is 'pushing'

literally.  think back to 2003, December... that storm was 19 F in Winchester and 32 at the Born Bridge, and 55 on the Cape ... with a fresh clean arctic dome sitting NW of Maine.   ..  if that +PP is NW of you, it squeezes the cold and CF very tightly to the water's edge. 

Yeah no kidding. Hopefully it works out.

There's literally a sfc low near the BM for like 48 straight hours on the ensemble mean...it's probably not sure of timing and which shortwave to focus on, but the initial punch north from the gulf is really powerful between about 168-204.

There's certainly more storminess showing up later than that...another signal around Feb 28-29 too.

There's literally a sfc low near the BM for like 48 straight hours on the ensemble mean...it's probably not sure of timing and which shortwave to focus on, but the initial punch north from the gulf is really powerful between about 168-204.

There's certainly more storminess showing up later than that...another signal around Feb 28-29 too.

I had a nice private weenie moment about GEFS p15 this afternoon for the 28-29th.

Man, I'm not sure I've seen the ensembles that emphatic about a storm this far out.

They had this past one pretty much nailed at 7 days out.  A week ago the EPS was drawing the low up over ALB and never really changed.  I feel like they've been onto some long lead systems this year that have both worked out and not worked out. 

I think many get smoked....and I don't mean cirrus.

While eyewall is definitely just speaking from pure emotions at this point (betting the streak has been the winning hand lately though), I feel like we've heard a good deal of long lead times when folks have said "I think this one gets everyone" or "this is where NNE catches up" or whatever.  Not aimed at you, but even this past system some folks were convinced we were getting a snow bomb up here like 3-4 days ago.  Be curious to look at those GFS snow maps Ginxy saved a week ago and see what happened.

It has a boy who cried wolf ring to it after a while, haha (again not aimed at you or anyone in general).  Even in past couple winters the "I think its the deeper interior's time with this one" has been uttered a lot more than reality.

Though I agree with you we probably have as good a shot as any other time this season. 

They had this past one pretty much nailed at 7 days out.  A week ago the EPS was drawing the low up over ALB and never really changed.  I feel like they've been onto some long lead systems this year that have both worked out and not worked out. 

The signal was weaker though on this past one vs the next one even though the mean was pretty good with the track...like the mean qpf was weaker and the spread was more. Today's run has extremely high support for a system coming out of the gulf around D7.

But regardless, things can obviously change. I've seen ensembles be excited about a D7 system and it turns to crap...Feb 8, 2014 comes to mind. We had a big signal on that and it turned into nothing...but it was quickly forgotten in that active snow month.

The signal was weaker though on this past one vs the next one even though the mean was pretty good with the track...like the mean qpf was weaker and the spread was more. Today's run has extremely high support for a system coming out of the gulf around D7.

But regardless, things can obviously change. I've seen ensembles be excited about a D7 system and it turns to crap...Feb 8, 2014 comes to mind. We had a big signal on that and it turned into nothing...but it was quickly forgotten in that active snow month.

Yeah very true.  I feel like the Ensembles have had a good amount of long lead signals this winter that both worked out and didn't work out. 

As always, that's much more important though than seeing it on the Operationals...this is total ensemble time frame.

Archived