joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a mean high pressure over Quebec and eastern Ontario at 180 hours on the Euro ensemble...that's a very good spot. So as long as the track is fairly reasonable, you'll get a good event in New England out of that.

It was there on the 12z GEFS as well, and the 12z GFS OP. So we shall see if this is the start of a trend or just a random noise at this lead.

I was bit confused earlier..You posted about the op run.. You said it had an inch or so for most of SNE and S Vt /NH?

It had maybe an inch for MA/S VT/S NH...not much south of MA border. It was a weak stripe.

I wouldn't really consider that a "hit" on the OP model...since the original discussion surrounding that was potentially something more like a solid advisory event. But either way...still early on that one. Some of it will depend what that clipper in Canada does before it...the one that gives NNE some snow on Fri night.

It was there on the 12z GEFS as well, and the 12z GFS OP. So we shall see if this is the start of a trend or just a random noise at this lead.

I think right now is as good as you'd like to see at D7-8 with the pattern we are presented with...it matches very well what we said about the 2/24-2/25 period before the OP models started on it....that we liked the look for storminess with cold around (due to PNA/EPO) but always be extra cautious of track since we don't have the luxury of an NAO block which tends to "hold" the track in place more.

That's what we see here...strong storm signal...available cold...but obviously a plethora of tracks it could take and not all of them are going to make snow weenies happy and not all in the same regions.

I think right now is as good as you'd like to see at D7-8 with the pattern we are presented with...it matches very well what we said about the 2/24-2/25 period before the OP models started on it....that we liked the look for storminess with cold around (due to PNA/EPO) but always be extra cautious of track since we don't have the luxury of an NAO block which tends to "hold" the track in place more.

That's what we see here...strong storm signal...available cold...but obviously a plethora of tracks it could take and not all of them are going to make snow weenies happy and not all in the same regions.

I still always picture your analogy of a firehose spraying around with no -NAO.  Without the block those southern stream storms can go literally anywhere as they come out of the deep south.

I was just saying that with respect to the macro-level setup, we don't want to see the pv that far south in E Canada as the 18z GFS showed. I don't think that is saying anything out of line or too detailed for the current lead time, and I'm certainly not advocating that the 18z GFS is going to nail anything at 200 hours out.

I still always picture your analogy of a firehose spraying around with no -NAO. Without the block those southern stream storms can go literally anywhere as they come out of the deep south.

Yep. Think of a +PNA as the arm of a linebacker trying to slow down the running back going up the middle. That would be Scooter HP.

I was just saying that with respect to the macro-level setup, we don't want to see the pv that far south in E Canada as the 18z GFS showed. I don't think that is saying anything out of line or too detailed for the current lead time, and I'm certainly not advocating that the 18z GFS is going to nail anything at 200 hours out.

I wasn't contesting your post.

Probably fairly straight forward meteorology... if that low decided to wrap up and mid-levels cut off, we would have a problem similar to February 2010. As it is, it stays an open elongated wave.

From this position, if that low went gang-busters and H5 went negative cut-off, we'd have a problem.

gfs_pr6_slp_t850_neng_33.png

lol 2010. Wut? Just throw out basic CCB WCB meteorology cool.

Archived