joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it is. If I remember 2004 correctly the shore struggled to get below zero but inland temps dipped well below into the double digits. But that was a radiational cooling set up. This is super impressive with the winds and shoreline -5 or below. I saw Central Park hit 0. They haven't dropped below zero since 94, anyone know if they reached -1?

They did.

-15.2F for the min here. Cold, but nothing earth shattering like south and west of here. Warmer mid level temps fought back up here and into Maine after 0z last night.

I guess the question today is do we get above 0F? The MET has 2F for CON which should put me around -1F if that gerifies.

Groton on the water is super impressive

Was it 1980 that had the really cold Christmas?  I was in NL then and I think we had -3, the coldest I'd had in my youth.

Meanwhile, one of the many sucky things about not having snow is that there's no insulation against the cold in the field-stone foundation.

Have heaters in the crawl space down there now as I try to thaw the plumbing. 

Was it 1980 that had the really cold Christmas? I was in NL then and I think we had -3, the coldest I'd had in my youth.

Meanwhile, one of the many sucky things about not having snow is that there's no insulation against the cold in the field-stone foundation.

Have heaters in the crawl space down there now as I try to thaw the plumbing.

Christmas 1980 was very cold. Windy too if I recall.

Christmas 1980 was very cold. Windy too if I recall.

I think that it was the coldest day for many places except for the cheap midnight high temperature.  I know places like BDL never made it above zero during the day but the midnight temperature was warmer so that's what goes in the books.

I remember my mother wouldn't let us go outside with the winds and that the wind chills were really low.

I'm in my 16th hour below zero...wondering how long I can go.  Currently -9.

I think that it was the coldest day for many places except for the cheap midnight high temperature.  I know places like BDL never made it above zero during the day but the midnight temperature was warmer so that's what goes in the books.

I remember my mother wouldn't let us go outside with the winds and that the wind chills were really low.

I'm in my 16th hour below zero...wondering how long I can go.  Currently -9.

Temp in house down to 60 downstairs. Unreal

Sitting at -10.4

Think what we can say is for the hill towns of SNE this was a top 1-3 event . Hill towns can only do this with big CAA

For the radiators it wasn't top 5.. Since they make fake cold quite often like this.

But for places like ORH, TOL, MPM.. This was a top event

Depends. In the modern era, you could include most areas that aren't radiators like BOS/coast etc.

Depends. In the modern era, you could include most areas that aren't radiators like BOS/coast etc.

Yeah BOS and GON certainly top 3 event. I think every story should be how this was historical in all of SNE. Just because a valley like BDL can get to -25 on a clear calm night doesn't mean that it's colder. This was a historical airmass. One we won't see again in our lifetimes anyway.

Archived