joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind chills don't effect houses and chairlifts. But it def affects people outside

I would say this is definitely more brutal than days I had colder temps with no wind

Windchills definitely affect houses....it chills down a house quicker by removing any heat faster that is radiating out from it. You can feel it if you stand near windows or doors during these strong CAA events vs a calm frigid night.

Technically wind chill is a human feel like metric. Wind intrusion of cold air through bad insulation is not wind chill

IF we rephrase it to "a house loses heat faster during windy cold conditions vs calm cold conditions"....then we can avoid the semantical argument.

Not convinced at all...the core of the cold is actually slightly to our west...like over Hudson Valley/Berkshires/Catskills. Euro seems to have been more correct on this idea. Some earlier runs of the GFS had it right over us. So we barely touch -30C at 850 (if at all). I also would like the winds to be drilling a little more out of the N. At least it isn't WNW, but NNW is better than NW.

It will be a close call but I could see this only producing like a -9 or something. One positive is the peak cold comes as the sun is going down and we also have a pretty fresh snow pack.

I'll go short at both sites.

BDL -10

BOS-5

ORH -13

I'll take the over.

Seems like the core of the cold came directly over SNE

We could always just go the windchill route...these airmasses absolutely blow away the -25 radiator lows when it comes to windchills....and you often get record low maxes in these types of airmasses whereas the radiator airmasses you rarely get them. You'll go from like -25 to a high of 15 or something.

No doubt.  I just don't like the semantic argument that -15 is colder with wind than -26 is without wind.  Both are impressive and achieved with their own specific conditions.

This is an impressive air mass - no doubt.

I was right there thinking records may not be easy and I took the over on BOX -7 for Boston too. The cold really worked out perfectly. The 12z runs solidifies record, but no way did I think -9.

I kept seeing those record 850 temp  run after run from ALB..They didn't back off at all.. When we kept seeing those..you knew this was the hairiest bear of them all and it was coming in all its glory

I would never engineer baseboard. Forced hot air is where it's at. I heat with a ventless propane fireplace upstairs,downstairs rec room,and a vented bedroom unit downstairs. Temp 72 ,back bed room 68

I just engineered and installed a baseboard system in my house that replaced a crappy, noisy, dusty forced scratched air system. House is an even 70F with 130 degree supply water temps.

I kept seeing those record 850 temp  run after run from ALB..They didn't back off at all.. When we kept seeing those..you knew this was the hairiest bear of them all and it was coming in all its glory

The thing, is previous runs were sort of shunting that core from SLK to ALB to like POU before swinging east...instead it really went through like S VT and down into SNE at the last minute...really yesterday's 12z runs started showing that. There were some hints on the 00z runs the night before but not enough to be confident.

But that trajectory is important. It definitely worked out.

I think that it was the coldest day for many places except for the cheap midnight high temperature. I know places like BDL never made it above zero during the day but the midnight temperature was warmer so that's what goes in the books.

I remember my mother wouldn't let us go outside with the winds and that the wind chills were really low.

I'm in my 16th hour below zero...wondering how long I can go. Currently -9.

I was living in Norfolk, CT then and it was 26 below when we got up that morning. It was supposed to be cold but that was much colder than expected.

Colder in much of SNe than Dendrite to Dryslot area. That's crazy

Colder than CAR and FVE is crazier. I wouldn't say "much" of SNE was colder than me either. Only the higher terrain. -15.2F is still pretty cold around here...especially for Feb. I'm glad this didn't occur a couple days later because it wouldn't even show up in the records because of 1943.

This was a special nite of cold for ORH, BOS, and other non radiators of SNE

May not see -9 below at Logan ever

I remember some famous NYC poster saying NYC would never see below zero again. It will happen

The advantages of age allows for understanding of never saying never. Atmosphere doesn't care what we humans think.

Archived