joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struggling with the APUs...diesels don't want to fire up and by code you need an alternate power unit if the electric cuts out. Sort of a situation where the lifts can run but can't load public until you can meet code.

People are actually rolling into the parking lot. It's cold though. Like Feb 2015 cold.

Forced hot air heater into the air intake.

Haven't looked at the max-min yet, but I don't think we made -20, probably 2-3F less cold.  IZG hit -20 and we're usually close to their reading, but being NE of there we probably held more wind.  What was surprising was the 0.1" snow; not often we get even that tiny amount at -15.  And I'll echo the "radiators" comments, above, as our place is prime for that.  Unless forecasts change, we should be colder tomorrow morning, especially given today's expected cold maximums.

Groton on the water is super impressive

Yeah it is. If I remember 2004 correctly the shore struggled to get below zero but inland temps dipped well below into the double digits. But that was a radiational cooling set up. This is super impressive with the winds and shoreline -5 or below. I saw Central Park hit 0. They haven't dropped below zero since 94, anyone know if they reached -1?

I can't remember when i've seen this kind of cold across the state. Every single station is below zero and the warmest is New Haven at -6. Wind Chill Warning criteria met.

I would say Jan '94 or Feb '96 were colder, and for the shoreline specifically, this morning was about the same as 1/17/2009, though on that morning many shoreline communities hit double digits below. The wind is the more memorable aspect of this since we usually get these kinds of temperatures only with good radiating conditions.

BOS: 3rd all time coldest temp at the Logan airport site (behind 1957 and 1943)

ORH: 2nd all time coldest temp at the airport site. (behind 1957)

Most impressive. And it's going to be 60˚ warmer and raining tomorrow. This winter …

Archived