joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Cold Valentine Feb 14 2016 Lobe

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only thing i wonder about is that temps are recovering quickly and i bet bdl is 13-14 for a daytime high today...that always seems to happen when its forecasted to be around or just below ten for a high, esp this time of year it always seems to warm a few more degrees

I know what you mean but this airmass is a different animal.

i don't know how low i got because i only checked my temp at 130am, but it was -12...finally got to +1 at 1130am...my furnace is not happy...and the woodstove is struggling to heat the downstairs...most of the time i can throw some wood in and i don't even have to open the the air vent all the way and it is plenty warm enough...i've had the vent at 100% for the last 24hrs...

Is there a site that I can look at historical 850MB temps? I'm specifically wondering about 12/25/1980. I know BDL had a cheap midnight high that day of 17° but it stayed well below zero all day. I'm just wondering how this air mass compared to other top cold air masses.

http://www.weather.gov/media/unr/soo/pw/low50-T850.pdf

Is there a site that I can look at historical 850MB temps?  I'm specifically wondering about 12/25/1980.  I know BDL had a cheap midnight high that day of 17° but it stayed well below zero all day.  I'm just wondering how this air mass compared to other top cold air masses.

Yeah that was impressive. CON had 18F at midnight but dropped to -15F by 7am and only recovered to -8F during the afternoon. The core of the cold came through midday so it was perfect timing for record cold afternoon temps. 12/29/1933 was really impressive too.

Xmas morning 1980.

attachicon.gifimage.gif

Here's ALB at 12z...the cold was centered around 900mb.

attachicon.gifimage.gif

The coldest 850s punched in after 12z and moderated by the following 00z. RAOB temp records are great but with 2 obs/day they can "miss" the extremes of impressive cold shots.

I remember that morning we drove from Cambridge to my grandmother's house in Mattapan. Dorchester bay was thick with sea smoke and the breaks in our old impala station wagon were partially frozen at the start of our trip.

Archived