Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is really cold tomorrow...

Tough forecast since the bulk of the precipitation is falling with the temps above freezing even at BWI though it will probably start sticking before then on the grass if the snow is falling heavily enough, still a big if..  For DC, it's even later for the cooling. 

I was not...but why would expectations in the city be that high anyway? I posted a list of caution flags a day or two ago. Even so, I just don't see zero. We'll see...

1-3 for DC is a good forecast IMO.  Even if the GFS totally busts on the temps Tuesday and the RGEM totally busts on the norlun we can pick up an inch on grassy surfaces overnight tonight.  

NWS up'ed the maximum totals for DC from this morning... now in the 5-6 inch range. They do have the 1-2 inch range as the most likely snow fall though... but this morning's max was in the 3-4 range, so it is something.

Temp currently 42/27 at my house. And yes, I am in the boat that this event won't amount to much (if anything) in the DC area... but will still follow it, cause that's what I do. 

Updated WSW at 9:42 AM still keeping 6-9".  I mean I can hope, but I won't believe it until King Euro speaks again.

I think the 6-9" range is for (and I hate to say this) NE MD and northern Baltimore County. I am under the watch in AA County and it says 6-9" but my point and click says 1-2" tonight and another 1-2" tomorrow so basically 2-4" for the whole storm. I expect AA County to go into an Advisory.

NWS up'ed the maximum totals for DC from this morning... now in the 5-6 inch range. They do have the 1-2 inch range as the most likely snow fall though... but this morning's max was in the 3-4 range, so it is something.

Temp currently 42/27 at my house. And yes, I am in the boat that this event won't amount to much (if anything) in the DC area... but will still follow it, cause that's what I do. 

It's a useless product IMO.  Sorry.  Been here, had this convo before.

I think 4-6 is pretty reasonable. I don't have great feeling about this but I also don't feel terrible either. My best guess is this is 2 parts but I could be off. Maybe we pick up 1-2 overnight and then 2-4 with the second part. 

Wouldn't be shocked if it's a total bust because I'm not sold on the cold afternoon temps the GFS has. On the other hand this could work out well and if we do stay cold some of those 8 inch plus amounts are not impossible.

I agree -- its a tough forecast, even for up our way. 

So much confusion in this thread. Is it looking better or worse for DC and how are temps?

DC looking very marginal.  Seems like the most likely event in DC is wet roads/white rain and maybe some accumulation on grassy surfaces.  The GFS/RGEM say otherwise and would give DC 3 or more inches, but we've all been burned twice in the last few years on these marginal temp events so expectations are very low. The GFS keeps the surface quite close to freezing through the whole event but the euro has DC 33-35 degrees.  

So much confusion in this thread. Is it looking better or worse for DC and how are temps?

I think people have just thrown in the towel. It could just be a non-accumulating white rain event, but if temps are, say, 2 degrees cooler than forecasted, with heavy precipitation it could be a boom, a la St Patty's day. 

Archived