• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

Model thread is pretty long, figured since we are within 12hrs or so of people starting to see snow, lets get the obs thread going. 

Short range model talk okay here. Good luck to all, and I hope Ian gets some snow for his birthday. 

Now let's slay bitches

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's weird they lowered for DC... Model guidance looks better now then when they had 2-3" for DC

Going to be very interesting for us.  I think we will get around an inch in DC with the initial precip until about 12z tomorrow but then it's all about the nonrlun.  If we get into the best part of the norlun I think we can make a run at 3-5 despite marginal temps.  Looking at hour 42 of the euro it's going to be close. If we are fringed then we will probably won't accumulate at all during the day Tuesday except for cartops.   Not being familiar with norluns the one thing I remember reading from New England is that even at close ranges they can be tough to nail down.   

Same as above, but zoomed in for DCers

That map is a perfect example why I chose Linthicum when deciding where to live in AA County. Bwi is 5" and I'm on or just south of the 6-7" line. Of course, 4-5 miles to my west/wnw in Elkridge often smoke me with their additional 250-300', but it ain't worth the Howard County property taxes. Sorry Scraff. :P

If we can get clouds in here fast, could hold temps down a few degrees.  That plus some drier air, as evidenced by the low dew points this AM, could help shave a critical 1 - 3 degrees off.

LOL, just posted the same thing in the other thread.  There's also a push of warmer air in front of the front.  Columbus is rain and upper thirty's.  Cincy is rain also.  The only snow obs I can find were Lexington and Jackson KY.  Huntington Wv is 41 while Elkins is 20.

Southern areas definitely have high bust potential because of marginal temps but I question whether western areas of the forecast area may as well. Models have consistently shown what looks to be subsidence coming off the mountains and in some cases have had it very pronounced. Really know nothing about it besides the fact that it dries the air and raises the temps so really have no other thoughts on it except that it may be a potential wildcard thrown into the mix for forecasting for our western regions.

Southern areas definitely have high bust potential because of marginal temps but I question whether western areas of the forecast area may as well. Models have consistently shown what looks to be subsidence coming off the mountains and in some cases have had it very pronounced. Really know nothing about it besides the fact that it dries the air and raises the temps so really have no other thoughts on it except that it may be a potential wildcard thrown into the mix for forecasting for our western regions.

As someone near that area I can tell you that it is concern.  It becomes less of a concern if our wind develops an easterly component.

Archived