Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so besides Raven94's NE MD, what is the likelyhood the main swath of snow or bands move south or what would it take to make that happen?

as MillVillWx said in the other thread, its really all about where the low level jet sets up. Anyone under it is game for some good amounts. 

That map is a perfect example why I chose Linthicum when deciding where to live in AA County. Bwi is 5" and I'm on or just south of the 6-7" line. Of course, 4-5 miles to my west/wnw in Elkridge often smoke me with their additional 250-300', but it ain't worth the Howard County property taxes. Sorry Scraff. :P

Mitch -- When I head east on RT 100 from Columbia after events, I can very often detect a "rain-snow line" a few miles east of Route 1. (as you are painfully aware!)

Did you see 10Z GFS? NE MD CREAMED, PUMMELED AND RAKED BY HEAVY SNOWBANDS HECS

Sorry to have a bit of banter in here, but this made me think of that part of Ghostbusters near the end with the..."We're talking real wrath of God type stuff, a disaster of Biblical proportions!  The dead rising from the grave!  Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria!!"

I mean to be honest I hope he's back to tell us about w huge 12z pounding.

I feel like he only comes here when he is drunk. He wasn't here at all during our last grazer, after he used his telekinetic powers to will the last one N/W. He was here for a little bit of the blizzard, mostly to say NE MARYLAND PUMMELED. he might actually be Mike Masco's son. 

I feel like he only comes here when he is drunk. He wasn't here at all during our last grazer, after he used his telekinetic powers to will the last one N/W. He was here for a little bit of the blizzard, mostly to say NE MARYLAND PUMMELED. he might actually be Mike Masco's son.

I know exactly who he is, won't put that business out there but he has been an awful weenie for years. Doubt he's even drunk, just a footlong ween.

As someone near that area I can tell you that it is concern.  It becomes less of a concern if our wind develops an easterly component.

Models are now in fairly good agreement in placing the norlun through central MD and that actually makes a lot of sense to me if you consider the wave action created from the initial subsidence from the mountains that then raises it over central MD. Wonder if we will see slight east and west adjustments on that norlun feature with the short range models all dependent on the wind speed crossing the mountains.

And about school closures, I think most places in maryland will close, Fairfax as well, and I don't know if the closer in places like Arlington or Alexandria will want to take a chance. PW shouldn't close, but will anyway ;)

Wouldn't be surprised if MoCo here in MD closes, though a 2 hour delay might be possible depending on what happens (they've already had 5 days off around the blizzard).  If anything, because the far northern part of the county is in the watch currently.  OPM...right now, my guess would be a delayed arrival and optional telework/unscheduled leave.

Mitch -- When I head east on RT 100 from Columbia after events, I can very often detect a "rain-snow line" a few miles east of Route 1. (as you are painfully aware!)

Yeah Herb, Rt.100 is a great weenie drive to observe snow variations over a relatively short distance. Travelling from the start of Rt. 100 in Pasadena with an elevation of around 50' and then heading west where there are a few spots near 550' only 10-15 minutes away, you see some huge differences. Occasionally, however, we'll get one of those systems that pass to our south/east and Pasadena/AA County does well....but not very often as you mention. :(

Southern areas definitely have high bust potential because of marginal temps but I question whether western areas of the forecast area may as well. Models have consistently shown what looks to be subsidence coming off the mountains and in some cases have had it very pronounced. Really know nothing about it besides the fact that it dries the air and raises the temps so really have no other thoughts on it except that it may be a potential wildcard thrown into the mix for forecasting for our western regions.

That is almost always a problem out here.  Unless there is a strong southerly moisture transport, or as Wxlvr noted, a good E/NE wind component, we will be dry.  Been to this dance enough times to know that we will be the stags to this party.

09z SREF plumes are decent... mean at DCA is 3.48"... mean at IAD is 3.66"... mean at FDK is 4.80"... mean at BWI is 4.46"

It is interesting. For FDK, it has total QPF at .61, so I guess it wants to give about .15 as rain even though it shows temps at 36 at precip onset.

Archived