joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the NAM, its not so much that it is awful, but it is not very useful because it is inconsistent. It can have its uses in picking up on convective banding potential and things like that, the problem is it has so much trouble placing features in the correct location that if you use it to rely on where something will be you will bust a lot. Like was just said, people use it wrong.

About the storm, this is coming in two peices. I think many are going to get discouraged when the stuff tonight is pretty pathetic. The stuff tonight has the best timing with temps and such but I am not sure its going to have enough intensity to do much for many. Throwing in the towel on what may happen tomorrow with the NORLUN is premature IMO. We all know what the issues are for DC, and yea if the best banding sets up outside the city its going to fail. light to moderate snow with temps in the mid 30s is not going to work. BUT, if one of those convective bands sets up over the city tomorrow, I dont care what time of day it is, if its ripping 2"/hr and sitting stationary like the RGEM and some of the "Better" short range guidance suggests, its going to accumulate, urban heat island hell or not. I would HATE to have to issue a forecast on this for DC. Given the known issues of course I would lean towards the lower end and I could see a total fail, but at the same time if the banding with the trough sets up over them I could also easily see 4-5" in DC and it wouldnt shock me at all. Just realize that the bust risk is high on both ends and dont expect much but hope for a pleasent surprise.

it would stun me

it would stun me

I will defer to you with everything climo related in DC, and it is probably less of a probability then perhaps the tone of my post let on, but I am thinking of Nov 87 as an example of how if you get good banding with a convective feature to set up over the city, even with marginal temps it can work out.  Your probably right in that its a "hitting the lottery" type thing, but at least you have a ticket. 

odd that the GFS is so much stronger with the first wave tonight which is more synoptic scale in a way.  It places the norlun over our area with part 2 but is pretty weak sauce with it, but that may be expected with a global.  Our best case dream scenario would be to get the GFS part 1 and the RGEM part 2.  I can dream can't I?

Oh the sarcasm is what I wasn't happy with. If it shows .3-.35 in 6 hours that's half inch+ rates in simple math terms. But I am a pea

sorry next time I'll just blindly take the qpf assign a 10:1 ratio with those sfc temps to make you feel better. 

Archived