joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the precip I get comes after 4am..............when I might get below 40 degrees.

I have no crystal ball, but I think I can see where this is heading.  If I'm wrong so be it, but I can't see getting an inch of snow out of this.

I hope NE Maryland gets crushed.

I agree with you on this one. This isnt our type of event. If I had to guess I would pick Philly north as the jackpot on this one. I know thats not what the models are showing. But it is the norm with these.

Whew, I was worried.

LOL ...... j/k.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty brutal forecast for the pros.   I honestly wouldn't know what to do for the famous NE MD!!!! corridor. Pretty sure Bmore's not getting a foot, but even there that's a headache.    For us (DC), I think it's easier because of temps...sticking with my original call from Friday...1 to 2 slushy inches and NBD. 

Probably on the models but the argument is way oversimplified here. Saying the NAM is garbage all around is wrong.

Even in 2016 there seems to be a collective reluctance to acknowledge the NAM is a very...errr....compromised model in the winter.  It is almost something whispered about behind closed doors.  We collectively follow it every run with no real acknowledgment that it isn't as capable as other models.  I have seen it beat the other models even at 84 hours.  It does win sometimes.  But the Sixers have won 8 games and they're still in last place.  

I mostly agree.  NAM is garbage, but it does have it's uses. 

The RGEM has been pretty lousy lately, its been too dry and generally too east with everything.  It had been doing well until about 3 or so weeks ago, since then its been bad.   The NAM has been generally crappy outside of being right in NYC to an extent on the blizzard.  The UKMET IMO has been the best lately.

The RGEM has been pretty lousy lately, its been too dry and generally too east with everything.  It had been doing well until about 3 or so weeks ago, since then its been bad.   The NAM has been generally crappy outside of being right in NYC to an extent on the blizzard.  The UKMET IMO has been the best lately.

There's this whole unresolved debate about the RGEM.  Is it really good?  And if not, is it better vs NAM? Who knows.

I agree with you on this one. This isnt our type of event. If I had to guess I would pick Philly north as the jackpot on this one. I know thats not what the models are showing. But it is the norm with these.

I'm out.  Good luck up north.  Maybe something will pop up LR to peak our interest.  Not sold on end of week.  42 and sunny.  Beautiful here.

Literally over Baltimore has around 12-18" amounts. DC around 5" I'd say. But Balt almost 40mm as snow.

If Baltimore and the area gets a foot I will run out in it butt naked. No way in hell that happens. 

Sorry for the banter comment, but I have a question for the experts here, in the Baltimore area what do you feel is the most likely amount we would get? Trying to determine if it's worth it to work at home tomorrow. 

There's this whole unresolved debate about the RGEM.  Is it really good?  And if not, is it better vs NAM? Who knows.

It was very good in the 13-14 winter, tended to be too warm/west/north on events last winter as a whole.  This winter it was performing as well as 13-14 til mid January but has not been good since.  Overall its way better than the NAM though, it has runs of 3-4 months where it by far is the best model with mesoscale features and TSTMS etc.

About the NAM, its not so much that it is awful, but it is not very useful because it is inconsistent. It can have its uses in picking up on convective banding potential and things like that, the problem is it has so much trouble placing features in the correct location that if you use it to rely on where something will be you will bust a lot. Like was just said, people use it wrong.

About the storm, this is coming in two peices. I think many are going to get discouraged when the stuff tonight is pretty pathetic. The stuff tonight has the best timing with temps and such but I am not sure its going to have enough intensity to do much for many. Throwing in the towel on what may happen tomorrow with the NORLUN is premature IMO. We all know what the issues are for DC, and yea if the best banding sets up outside the city its going to fail. light to moderate snow with temps in the mid 30s is not going to work. BUT, if one of those convective bands sets up over the city tomorrow, I dont care what time of day it is, if its ripping 2"/hr and sitting stationary like the RGEM and some of the "Better" short range guidance suggests, its going to accumulate, urban heat island hell or not. I would HATE to have to issue a forecast on this for DC. Given the known issues of course I would lean towards the lower end and I could see a total fail, but at the same time if the banding with the trough sets up over them I could also easily see 4-5" in DC and it wouldnt shock me at all. Just realize that the bust risk is high on both ends and dont expect much but hope for a pleasent surprise.

Archived