joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think for the 15z-00z period tomorrow unless you're in the middle of a good band you're probably not going to accumulate efficiently/at all......unless the GFS scores a temp coup.

though I think much of the reason for the temps is lack of heavier precip...this is a pretty good overnight/morning event...rush hour could be fun...

This could be like a 2/25/14 for us...wake up to a couple inches and then it gets warm

This entire thread should be blown up.  There went 10 minutes of my life that I can never get back.

It's a standard thread for a potentially marginal event for some people....backyard-itis, lots of banter, and I threw some shade at government mets, weenies and the NAM...Didn't you used to live in a better area for snow?  

Should be some interesting radar presentations over the next 24-36 hours. Even though the largest 6 hour total on the euro panels is .3 (parkton/manchester area) and a splattering of .2 areas I would imagine that the precip falls fairly quickly as is common with inv troughs. 

this, and I just want to see the reliable models placing that trough over our area.  I am confident that within that area there will be some crazy convective "death bands" and the models will not accurately place them or pick up their intensity.  The globals are basically white washing everything in that zone.  Someone that is in that general .5 qpf area on the GFS/Euro/RGEM will end up with an inch qpf and a nice 10" surprise. 

It's a standard thread for a potentially marginal event for some people....backyard-itis, lots of banter, and I threw some shade at government mets, weenies and the NAM...Didn't you used to live in a better area for snow?  

Eh, I am originally from Wisconsin.  Most events there are pretty boring as they end up getting nickeled/dimed throughout winter.

I'm taking the over for Fozz and even us. I think that once the precip starts, the surface is going to get cold from 70 north.

I agree.  Measurement won't be easy though.  I think this is going to be one of those events where the north side of my house sees more than the south side, and white surfaces see more than dark ones.

Here's my estimated qpf as snow IMBY for the event (very rough estimates - this involves a lot of squinting at maps).  I think Fozz would be a little higher.

RGEM:  1.2

UKMET:  0.85

GFS:  0.8

Euro:  0.65

DWD (why not):  0.65

HRDPS:  0.6

NAM:  0.35

NAM4K:  0.3

Average:  0.675

If that average is about right, we'd need about 6:1 ratios to hit 4".  I think we could do it if we get some snow on the ground before sun comes up, which I think we will.  The upper levels will be plenty cold. 

I have a question for the more knowledgable posters:  will the relatively cold upper levels have much of an impact on how quickly the surface can cool?  I.e. if we have good rates, how much will the temperatue of the flakes that are falling matter?

This storm reminds me of crabbing, when you catch that one really enormous crab, but you put him in your cooler and realize that he's just not moving all that well and he has a few blacks splotches on his shell. Also he a strange yellow color instead of that healthy green with the blue tips.

It's like damn, but you aren't comfortable enough to take a chance on eating him because you know he's not right.

LOL I have never read any thing like this before

My forecast for DC for my friends - 

Update on snow for DC Proper -

This is totally low confidence. Model divergence is high and temps are borderline. It is a weird setup. Precip type is variable, and intensity and timing are uncertain. A complete bust wouldn't surprise me. Repeat - low confidence. Now that we have gotten that out of the way.

7pm - Midnight - Rain/mix eventually changing to all snow. Temps dropping from low 40s to low to mid 30s. Little or no accumulation.

Midnight - 8 am - Snow, occasionally moderate, temps in lower 30s. We may wake up to a couple inches, but streets shouldn't be terrible.

8 am - 5 pm - Snow eventually becoming lighter in the afternoon and potentially mixing with rain. Eventually tapering to flurries/drizzle. Temps in mid 30s. Perhaps some additional accumulation, but mainly on grass.

Total accumulation: 2-3".

This is totally low confidence. Model divergence is high and temps are borderline. It is a weird setup. Precip type is variable, and intensity and timing are uncertain. A complete bust wouldn't surprise me. Repeat - low confidence. Now that we have gotten that out of the way.

7pm - Midnight - Rain/mix eventually changing to all snow. Temps dropping from low 40s to low to mid 30s. Little or no accumulation.

Midnight - 8 am - Snow, occasionally moderate, temps in lower 30s. We may wake up to a couple inches, but streets shouldn't be terrible.

8 am - 5 pm - Snow eventually becoming lighter in the afternoon and potentially mixing with rain. Eventually tapering to flurries/drizzle. Temps in mid 30s. Perhaps some additional accumulation, but mainly on grass.

Good forecast

Sounds good. Covered the bases for possible disappointment but reasonable expectations on middle ground.

2-3" is a great # for DC right now. Nice forecast.

FWIW, RAP has about .3-.4" QPF through 12z tomorrow. According to it, we changeover between 2 and 3 AM. Temps are kinda meh though. DC stays above freezing through 7 AM.

Too bad 18z RAP is overdone... it looks very nice for DCA north in to MD re accumulated snow through 18 hrs on the AmWx model page

post-397-0-98687000-1454960648_thumb.gif

Archived