joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last three runs of the NAM look like Cam Newton...just all over the place and lost but I'll certainly take this run! In all seriousness...whoever is along and north of the norlun feature will get dumped on with heavy rates but the BL temps are critical. The NAM is colder only because of the simulated dynamic cooling from the heavy rates.

Sfc temp has no relation to ratio.

I was wondering about that though.  Let's say you got nice big dendrites but the surface was like 34 degrees and you experienced  melting on your snowboard.  For arguments sake lets say after a 6 hour sweep you had 3 inches with a very melty layer on the bottom.  If it had been cold the depth might have been like 4 or 5 inches.  When figuring out the ratios after the event would you use the melty snow depth?  

One person said that... and I called him/her out on it. I think most people on this board know that the NAM is a pipe dream.

I said it and you did not call me out on it. I said it as a joke and we all know that. NAM is a dream scenario and is only good 6 hours out or half of what we need here

I said it and you did not call me out on it. I said it as a joke and we all know that. NAM is a dream scenario and is only good 6 hours out or half of what we need here

Ok, should've turned my snarky meter up ;) But yeah, nobody truly believes the NAM, especially when its been jackpotting a different area each run.

Tell that to 2/22/87

The flakes aren't going to melt with temps that cold aloft. If it was like in the lower 40s at the sfc, sure, but not 32-33F.

Jesus. I was just pointing out that snow growth was ideal aloft with the caveat that we aren't seeing 15:1 with surface temps so warm. It's possible whoever gets an inch of liquid does better than 10:1.

Archived