joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th Monster Ocean storm obs and hallucinations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thought is this. Overnight your sounding probably looked something like ALY.

ALB.gif

Shallow nocturnal inversion, well mixed above it. That inversion eliminates the frictional element to winds, and just above it is slightly stronger wind max. As diurnal heating, or CAA mixed out the low level inversion, you get an initial burst of winds stronger than the rest because shortly thereafter mechanical mixing makes the winds in the boundary layer more uniform. That CAA shows up right at the same time as that barograph trough you posted. So a cold front went through the area and helped mix out the nocturnal inversion.

Thanks Chris, why does the pressure drop associated with a cold front,then rise. Physical process?This was at 430 am

Thanks Chris, why does the pressure drop associated with a cold front,then rise. Physical process?This was at 430 am

Think about what the MSLP charts look like on a CONUS scale map. The cold front is a pressure trough, so it represents the lowest local pressure as it passes. Pressures are higher on either side of it. The stronger the front, the sharper/deeper that V signature will be.

Think about what the MSLP charts look like on a CONUS scale map. The cold front is a pressure trough, so it represents the lowest local pressure as it passes. Pressures are higher on either side of it. The stronger the front, the sharper/deeper that V signature will be.

thanks ,that was totally unexpected yesterday by anyone. Just ripped through with stuff down all over. Thank God all that snow melted off the trees Sunday. I didn't measure the gusts but above 50 would not surprise me in the least. One of the more bizarre dry wind events I can remember. The timing really confused me too.

thanks ,that was totally unexpected yesterday by anyone. Just ripped through with stuff down all over. Thank God all that snow melted off the trees Sunday. I didn't measure the gusts but above 50 would not surprise me in the least. One of the more bizarre dry wind events I can remember. The timing really confused me too.

Mind you I'm just taking an educated stab at it, but I think that's probably the most likely mechanism for what happened.

It's a smaller scale version of the nocturnal LLJ on the Plains. You develop that inversion and the winds can really start to rip just off the deck as they lose frictional drag with the ground. Once you bust the inversion, you have a brief window for some larger gusts before things settle in.

That may be. Though I was under heavier returns from late morning until early evening. Moderate snow until midnight. Had to be close. Boston had 6.4" and radar looked better here than there.

I measured close to 6 in Natick so that belt did pretty decent. Hopkinton maybe was slightly too far SW or that poster was a local min.

Archived