joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th Monster Ocean storm obs and hallucinations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm done shoveling and I'm going with 4.5" on the bubble here in the Webster Hill neighborhood of West Hartford.......wut a joy that was to shovel compared to the sloppy mashed of Friday......nice pack right now and for once we're looking at a late season pack.....dare I say a Morch pack? Lolz......

Only 3.5" in the elmwood section of town.... 0.27" of liquid so basically 13:1.

You might have had 7 if that's what you measured. Someone had to jackpot in that band that was sitting there for a couple hours yesterday morning.

I measured 7 in a spot that was sheltered from the wind. Other spots were closer to 6. I was surprised at the persistence of the bands. Nice event.

Mind you I'm just taking an educated stab at it, but I think that's probably the most likely mechanism for what happened.

It's a smaller scale version of the nocturnal LLJ on the Plains. You develop that inversion and the winds can really start to rip just off the deck as they lose frictional drag with the ground. Once you bust the inversion, you have a brief window for some larger gusts before things settle in.

Yeah the models showed a decently mixed boundary layer around daybreak when it was fairly dry. As the boundary layer moistened it became a whole lot less impressive. I feel like sometimes we get our best gusts before the snow even starts when the boundary layer is a bit better mixed even when the LLJ becomes much stronger a few hours later.

2.7. Looks like a local minimum but I'll take it, I haven't been home during the last two storms so measuring after the fact I might be a tad low.

the best stuff was just west and sw of me...plus it looked way better on radar than ground truth up til late yesterday afternoon...maybe we will get a pleasant surprise late tonight or early tomorrow am

Had 3.2" on 0.22" LE at 7 AM, with light snow falling - might have gotten another tenth or two from that and/or the late morning flurries.  Reached the low end of GYX prog of 3-6 for my area.  Yesterday was about 1/2° BN after a 15-day run of AN that averaged about +13.  Seasonal total now above 60% of avg YTD, still 3rd lowest of 18 for that parameter, and after Sunday it will be dead last as the big storms of 2/10-11/05 and VDay 07 are included. 

Archived