joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone wanna go on a snowshoeing trip in the Adirondacks this weekend?  This is the forecast for the High Peaks. 

Saturday
Partly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -25 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -58. Windy, with a northwest wind 26 to 28 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around -37. Wind chill values as low as -70. Windy, with a north wind 28 to 37 mph.

Anyone wanna go on a snowshoeing trip in the Adirondacks this weekend? This is the forecast for the High Peaks.

Saturday

Partly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -25 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -58. Windy, with a northwest wind 26 to 28 mph.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around -37. Wind chill values as low as -70. Windy, with a north wind 28 to 37 mph.

That's more winter than I'd ever want

Anyone wanna go on a snowshoeing trip in the Adirondacks this weekend?  This is the forecast for the High Peaks. 

Saturday
Saturday Night

When do we leave? Thats classic jebwalk weather

Saturday
Saturday Night

Friend who works on MWN summit lives in the valley down the road in Twin Mountain. Said it was -15 in the valley this morning and well lower at summit with wind chills in the -50 range. He said that was coldest he's ever felt with no wind. Nuts

Friend who works on MWN summit lives in the valley down the road in Twin Mountain. Said it was -15 in the valley this morning and well lower at summit with wind chills in the -50 range. He said that was coldest he's ever felt with no wind. Nuts

During my years in the CO rockies I learned some good lessons with dead of winter valley inversions. My hands stuck to the steering wheel with a 25 below calm morning and my eyelashes froze together with a single tear with a 10 below windy morning.

That kind of cold is pretty uncommon in the CO Rockies but the experiences were quite memorable

During my years in the CO rockies I learned some good lessons with dead of winter valley inversions. My hands stuck to the steering wheel with a 25 below calm morning and my eyelashes froze together with a single tear with a 10 below windy morning.

That kind of cold is pretty uncommon in the CO Rockies but the experiences were quite memorable

Wow. That is crazy Bob. I can't imagine something like that. He said up there it's very common that locals remove the battery from the car each night before bed. Temp forecast up there is -22 to -25 for lows on Sunday morning. We got it easy down here lol

Wow. That is crazy Bob. I can't imagine something like that. He said up there it's very common that locals remove the battery from the car each night before bed. Temp forecast up there is -22 to -25 for lows on Sunday morning. We got it easy down here lol

I had a block heater installed in my truck. It helped a lot and was pretty cheap considering the benefits. Even with a block heater it didn't offset the fact that a single male in his 20's always had to rush to work because he slacked every morning getting out the door. Lol. No time for car warmup even though it was almost warm already.

Didn't want to clutter the storm thread but with all the obsessing over if it's 2" or 4" before it changes to a driving rainstorm it makes me think how many would really feel satisfied at all if they get 3-4" that when the storm ends there is no trace of because of 2" of rain after. At this point I'm worried this storm is a net negative as I may end with less snowcover then I started even if I get 3" first. That happened last year. I had about 4" of snowpack and got 2-3" on the front side of a storm that then went to heavy rain. When it was over it had eradicated almost all the snow otg. I would have been happier if there was no storm at all. I certainly wasn't feeling content about the 2-3" I git before the rain. Just curious how many share this view or would be happy with a few inches even if it's gone 12 hours later.

Didn't want to clutter the storm thread but with all the obsessing over if it's 2" or 4" before it changes to a driving rainstorm it makes me think how many would really feel satisfied at all if they get 3-4" that when the storm ends there is no trace of because of 2" of rain after. At this point I'm worried this storm is a net negative as I may end with less snowcover then I started even if I get 3" first. That happened last year. I had about 4" of snowpack and got 2-3" on the front side of a storm that then went to heavy rain. When it was over it had eradicated almost all the snow otg. I would have been happier if there was no storm at all. I certainly wasn't feeling content about the 2-3" I git before the rain. Just curious how many share this view or would be happy with a few inches even if it's gone 12 hours later.

Well, you asked, so....  

You already have two other responses, but as another member of the swath of this subforum to your south which doesn't have any snow on the ground and hasn't seen the grass covered since the blizzard melted, yes, it would be nice to see snow accumulate again even if it washes away. 

true I might feel different in your spot and you might feel different if you had 7" still otg to protect.

I've got about 2" otg, and I'm actually thankful to have any snow cover during this cold shot.... single digit temps suck when you have bare ground.

As for the storm, if it delivers 5"+ on the front end then I think it's worth it even if it goes away, otherwise I'd rather not have it.

Archived