• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

I went deeper into the neighborhood tonight with the dog. Man, it's a mess out there. A ton of work to be done before we have good sidewalk navigation.

Talked a neighbor who works for Maryland DOT. Apparently any streets in my hood that haven't gotten plowed during the storm will require front loaders and bobcats to clear because they are too deep to plow. That's basically all of them except the snow emergency routes. I don't think I'm getting out until Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Our HOA snow removal contractor gave up on the storm 36 hours ago.  25 of us dug out the street over 5 hours today.  Hopefully we get an HOA refund since we did the plow work that we paid for and did not receive.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our area is soft re: road conditions. People see a little snow on the roads and they freak out. You can drive on packed down snow as long as you take your time and don't tailgate/slam on breaks when someone comes to a stop. 

I feel for anyone that didn't shovel yesterday. The bottom of the snow is going to be hard as a rock this morning. 

Just got to work, 83 was clear. shawan a bit icy for anyone up in the Hunt Valley area, but take it slow and you'll be fine. Less than 10 cars here at work. Nice quiet day. 

Re: snowfan, I passed houses along York this morning that hadn't even touched their driveways yet, I feel for those guys. 

Our area is soft re: road conditions. People see a little snow on the roads and they freak out. You can drive on packed down snow as long as you take your time and don't tailgate/slam on breaks when someone comes to a stop. 

I feel for anyone that didn't shovel yesterday. The bottom of the snow is going to be hard as a rock this morning. 

I don't feel for any able-bodied person that didn't shovel yesterday.  Frankly, I don't know how people didn't shovel Saturday.  If you have some household emergency and have to go to the hospital, you weren't getting anywhere.

I don't feel for any able-bodied person that didn't shovel yesterday.  Frankly, I don't know how people didn't shovel Saturday.  If you have some household emergency and have to go to the hospital, you weren't getting anywhere.

This. We went out three times saturday, once in the morning that took about 2 hours to clear the cars and top of driveway, while the neighbor used the snow blower to clear his, ours, and the two across the street. We went out again around 230 to do another clearing on the walk around cars, then again at 6pm. neighbor snowblowed again at 6. so yesterday was pretty easy going, just did one final shovel on the walk and around the cars, moved the cars to let some of the ice melt, then parked them later in the evening. was smooth sailing this morning.

i'm sore as hell, but glad we did that. 

This was one of the few times I shoveled while snow fell. I knew it would suck to let it all fall and then hit it. Even still, with drifting it was like I shoveled 3x what fell.

Fair point. I guess I shouldn't feel bad. Just about everyone in our neighborhood was out for hours yesterday shoveling. What I had shoveled Saturday was all filled in Saturday night when the deform hit us with the wind. The front of our house is exposed to the wind.

10 hours of shoveling. And I'm all cleared out

6 hrs yesterday. But feel ok today.

Live on a corner lot. And have double wide driveway.

Also helped my elderly neighbors. They were basically snowed in.

I saw my one 75 year old neighbor trying clear his car and he almost fell.

I went over and did it for him and cleared a nice path to his house.

I will go out and help my other neighbors today..

Please think about people in your neighborhood.

At least the ones who can't physically do this.

One day you might need help.

Remember, what goes around,comes around.

The worst part of shoveling involved my love/hate relationship with the snowplow.  I love the fact we actually saw a snowplow on Saturday as some neighborhoods may not even get one today.  I hate the fact I then had to dig my driveway out of a 3' tall packed down snow wall left behind by said snowplow.

Neighbor had to come over with his front loader to plow my driveway...it's like a 500' gravel driveway...ugh...so much snow..we were doomed without him...thank goodness I live in bubbaville :) Trekking down to the barn and shoveling down there then back up to the house...not gonna lie...I've had a blast with this storm but dang...not a joy with all of this property to take care of out here in the middle of nowhere

10 hours of shoveling. And I'm all cleared out

6 hrs yesterday. But feel ok today.

Live on a corner lot. And have double wide driveway.

Also helped my elderly neighbors. They were basically snowed in.

I saw my one 75 year old neighbor trying clear his car and he almost fell.

I went over and did it for him and cleared a nice path to his house.

I will go out and help my other neighbors today..

Please think about people in your neighborhood.

At least the ones who can't physically do this.

One day you might need help.

Remember, what goes around,comes around.

:clap:

Our apartment complex hired contractors to clear the snow for us.  They were here on Friday, cleared the sidewalks when we only had about 4" and I haven't seen them since.  Our cars were in a bad spot drift wise, snow well over my Explorer and her Jeep.  I dug out my vehicle, but hers had to wait.  We couldn't get out now if we wanted to since the main gate hasn't been plowed.  Good thing we haven't had any emergencies.  They better come soon to clear us out. 

My next-door neighbor and me were shoveling yesterday when we noticed two feet of snow on top of our older neighbor's SUV, and went over to get that off (he's an older guy that had a heart attack several years ago).  We noticed his driveway and sidewalk were clear.  He then comes out and produces a MONSTER two-stage snowblower he recently bought, and said help yourselves.  LOL this thing was so big it looked like a car engine!

It cut through two feet of untouched and slightly compacted snow on our sidewalks, and the rest of our driveways that would have taken us hours more of shoveling.

Wow. Did someone tell you definitely not even tomorrow or are you extrapolating from experience?

I inferred it from the montgomery county snow removal map. They are still working on primary and emergency routes. All the side streets need to be done by front loader. Too deep to plow. Very slow process that hasn't even begun.

Archived