joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked at the GEM for the first time today and all is good now. It expanded the heaviest snows north when compared to 0z, and it was also the first model to key in on the huge snow amounts. Hasn't really wavered at all the past few days. Euro will definately come north based off of climo, and the fact that high pressures have been verifying weaker than projected. Right now there is a 1032 high over the Midwest when all the models had a 1035-1036 (Euro was 1036), so I highly doubt this storm verifies south.

I'd be much more worried of the euro had shifted things north of mason Dixon... We can work with a mid virginia precip jackpot since we won't mix and ratios will be in our favor

Bingo. Very good science with this.

Every winter there's at least one system where the models underdo the snow output farther north along the QPF gradient, when afterwards the I70 and north folks always seem to get it in the end.

It's not just elevation folks. I'd rather be on the north end (not in the QPF bullseye) where I've got a better moisture and UVV profile in the -12 to -18C or "max dendritic growth zone" than to be IN the QPF bullseye with the best moisture/UVVs in the -5 to -10C layer. Ratios farther north, i.e. more dendrites, more than compensate.

Don't give up yet northerners..

Keep in mind I was referring to Euro Op, not EPS, but...

Nice and cold. Do we know where the storm exits the coast?

The 850 low rides up the coast of the Carolinas before slipping offshore near ILM @ 6Z Sat.  Then it does the weird multiple L thing the CMC did.  I wonder why these models are predicting this multiple-L solution offshore... what would cause that?

That seems like a pretty big cut. Weren't last nights 2.5 for DC?

Yes.  Last night it was 2.5 for DCA, 2.9 for IAD and 2.3 for BWI.

We know RIC isn't getting 24 inches. This will come north.

I said this in the SNE forum, forecasting a 1 in 500 year event or whatever the F this would be is so dangerous 3-4 days out. The tendency in the end is to see the more climo favored areas getting those amounts. It doesn't mean it cannot happen but I hate forecasting record events or trusting guidance that shows it unless the evidence is overwhelming

Archived