joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WxBell link earlier showed the 12z run but it wasn't populating.  Now it's back to showing 00z.  It did the same thing last night but never updated.  

It may actually be better if it doesn't...lol

One thing about high resolution out in time is (imo) extreme or anomalous situations can cause some additional error growth. Par may be scoring high with h5 verification but with my limited experience observing the para it seems more jumpy post d4 than the current op. Same thing applied when the now op gfs was in eval mode.

SV has been wonky for 3 days now with both Para and Para EPS.....It does have Para EPS from last night, and doesn't support the OP at all...1.25"+ for DC metro...but yeah...upper level verification scores don't mean a whole lot when dealing with a discrete situation

I agree with this. I think it was President's Day last year that underperformed for some of you guys further north due to lower ratios than expected? I always assume around 10:1 and nothing better unless I'm told otherwise.

Not to get too off-topic here, but yeah, the ratios around DC and north weren't exactly great for that PD storm.  It was very cold, but also as I remember it, kind of dry in the dendritic growth region around these parts.  I still got 4" of pixie-dust from that all the same, but yeah, and under-performer.

Appreciate your input as always!

You guys up there should get smoked pretty good too, correct?  I admit I haven't exactly concentrated much beyond the mid-Atlantic region, but several of the snowfall plots I saw had a pasting all the way up the coast.  At any rate, yes, hope we all get pummeled and bury the needle on the NESIS scale!

We will get sloppy seconds, as the fastest rate of maturation and associated closing of the H5 mid level center will take place near your latitude, thus the most intense dynamics will be experienced there.

This system epitomizes my rationale for going heavy in your region this winter when I did my outlook.

I am pumped for you guys.....this is your show.

SV has been wonky for 3 days now with both Para and Para EPS.....It does have Para EPS from last night, and doesn't support the OP at all...1.25"+ for DC metro...but yeah...upper level verification scores don't mean a whole lot when dealing with a discrete situation

I wasn't putting much confidence in the Euro-Para given the agreement across the other models but given this news,  this just confirms that logic.

Agreed. It still seems as if we are using the same arguments (regarding discounting the ECMWF para) that we used in our forum last year regarding the new GFS (which depicted the bust that verified). It leaves a funny taste in my mouth.

It still was a huge bust for all of SE PA and most of NJ

It's Monday night, and we're talking about a Friday storm. You're talking about a Euro bust in the short-term. We're not even anywhere near the same time-range to be having this comparison. 

NCEP Operational Status Message Tue Jan 19 01:54:46 2016 GMT NOUS42 KWNO 190154

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

0152Z TUE JAN 19 2016

THE 00Z NCEP MODEL SUITE STARTED AND IS RUNNING ON-TIME...

00Z RAOB RECAP..

70414/SYA - N/A FOR THE NAM

76458/MZT - 10158; FLIGHT EQUIP PROBLEMS..

76654/MZL - 10158; FLIGHT EQUIP PROBLEMS..

76692/HYY - 10158; FLIGHT EQUIP PROBLEMS..

SHRUELL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Absolutely not. It's one of the only reasons I'm not more confident about this storm. It's a HUGE red flag.

supressed is a risk of course, but I wouldn't make too much out of it. A few ensemble members show an ots solution but a few also cut inland so it's an equal chance either way. Same with the cips analogs. A few were south. A few inland and most great storms. Of course up here I fear south more and south of dc probably fears a inside track but honestly the vast majority of guidance suggests your in a good spot.

that's not quite true.   The data feed to that site is completely unreliable, so the maps may not always come in.   But the model is running every cycle, and when the maps are available for us to see, they can't be completely ignored.    This is the next version of the ECWMF model;  it has been thoroughly tested and approved for implementation in 7 weeks.   It's not someone randomly tweaking parts of the model.    It's scoring well.    

If you want to make the argument that this run from last night had basically zero support in today's deterministic and ensemble guidance (wish we could have seen the 12z ECMWF parallel), that is a better point to make.

There is a caveat posted about it on SV....it is not to be trusted, and is not operational.

that's not quite true.   The data feed to that site is completely unreliable, so the maps may not always come in.   But the model is running every cycle, and when the maps are available for us to see, they can't be completely ignored.    This is the next version of the ECWMF model;  it has been thoroughly tested and approved for implementation in 7 weeks.   It's not someone randomly tweaking parts of the model.    It's scoring well.    

If you want to make the argument that this run from last night had basically zero support in today's deterministic and ensemble guidance (wish we could have seen the 12z ECMWF parallel), that is a better point to make.

Its ensembles don't support the OP...1.25"+ mean for DC (per Matt above).

0z Nam at 84 has primary low in central TN. Heavy precip incoming to southwest VA with a nice cad signature notated down into the NC mountains. Yes I know it's 84 hr nam but it's good to see the cad holding nicely with the high parked up in northern NY. That's a perfect spot for cold air to drain down the apps

0z Nam at 84 has primary low in central TN. Heavy precip incoming to southwest VA with a nice cad signature notated down into the NC mountains. Yes I know it's 84 hr nam but it's good to see the cad holding nicely with the high parked up in northern NY. That's a perfect spot for cold air to drain down the apps

I was just going to post that it's very, very close to 18z GFS run at 90 hrs.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F00%2Fnam_namer_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160119+00+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Gfs

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=090ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F18%2Fgfs_namer_090_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160118+18+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Even more encouraging is a fairly similar H5 setup to other models

You can see the nams superiority in sniffing out cad. That's what I'm looking for in this setup. That dual low makes me nervous if the primary goes any further north, however seeing the cad setup should squelch those fears as it shouldn't force it's way too much into the confluence.

Even more encouraging is a fairly similar H5 setup to other models

The agreement over different models has been pretty amazing actually for this far out...for many model runs too. It gives more confidence than usual this far out...but obviously there is still time for things to go wrong and change. But this isn't the typical mishmash of "The Euro looks good, but the GFS is a scraper and GGEM is out to sea while the UKMET takes it through Detroit and the ensemble mean is pretty close to where we want it"....you'd probably be pretty happy with that scenario at 4 days out, but this is pretty phenomenal how close the solutions are, so that is a good thing for confidence.

The agreement over different models has been pretty amazing actually for this far out...for many model runs too. It gives more confidence than usual this far out...but obviously there is still time for things to go wrong and change. But this isn't the typical mishmash of "The Euro looks good, but the GFS is a scraper and GGEM is out to sea while the UKMET takes it through Detroit and the ensemble mean is pretty close to where we want it"....you'd probably be pretty happy with that scenario at 4 days out, but this is pretty phenomenal how close the solutions are, so that is a good thing for confidence.

I've been thinking that too. Do you attribute that to an easier setup to pick up on here, improvements in guidance, or both?

I've been thinking that too. Do you attribute that to an easier setup to pick up on here, improvements in guidance, or both?

It has to be due to an easier setup for guidance to identify...we certainly haven't improved that much across all guidance that quickly.

It has to be due to an easier setup for guidance to identify...we certainly haven't improved that much across all guidance that quickly.

The amazing consistency at this range reminds me a lot of Feb 2010, in the lead up to the first blizzard. It seems like a strong block along with a Miller A-ish storm is generally easier for guidance to pick up on than a lot of other setups. 

Archived