SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a met - can someone explain to me how this slight change in track and phasing correlates with a (somewhat; relatively) significantly warmer temp in parts at around hours 96-102? Doesn't make much sense to me, and makes me think the GFS has something off here.

I'm a newbie but let me take a stab at it: Before the onset of the precip, the CAD is there, but there isnt really a lot of cold air to the north. The 5*C SFC sotherm is all the way up in Canada. This run, the GFS amps up the primary low and drives it into KY, which erodes out more of the CAD. The storm doesn't really draw in cold air until after it bombs so while it transfers, we warm due to an easterly fetch off the ocean into not-so cold air.

Here's the BWI sounding @ 102... still looks like snow but just barely to my untrained eyes... 

http://soundings.pivotalweather.com/sounding_images/gfs_2016011900_102_KBWI.png

DCA appears to be rain... :(

http://soundings.pivotalweather.com/sounding_images/gfs_2016011900_102_KDCA.png

Its sleet at DCA at 102 and is back to snow at 105... so yeah

The 102 sounding is definitely sleet, not rain.  

We are starting to see more reality in the models. Nearly 100% of the time you will see mixing with bombing lows like this. The all snow solutions along and east of 95 were outside the norm...not that it can't happen but unlikely for such a strong storm with above normal water temps. This thing will be pulling in warm Atlantic water from hundreds of miles out and drawing into the area aloft.

:huh: That's not rain

NO its not  

the 0z GFS     has    it  nw   for some  reason

So, if I'm reading everything correctly over the last few pages, is the storm trending northwest? Seems that the sharp southern cutoff of the snow totals keeps moving further up each run. Hell, Richmond might not get anything but rain at this rate.

We are starting to see more reality in the models. Nearly 100% of the time you will see mixing with bombing lows like this. The all snow solutions along and east of 95 were outside the norm...not that it can't happen but unlikely for such a strong storm with above normal water temps. This thing will be pulling in warm Atlantic water from hundreds of miles out and drawing into the area aloft.

Agree with this.  The fact that we're seeing this much QPF and this much snow in spite of some realistic periods of mixing makes me MORE confident that these models will verify than if they were calling for a 100% snow event.

Even still, the clown map from the GFS is an awful lot from DCA-BWI and points east. That's the good news with a more amped up system...yes the likelihood of some mixing if not changeover, maybe a risk of dry slottage for a short period, but a better def band to follow. Wasn't Feb 5-6 2010 similar in that regard?

Archived