• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Seriously, this needs to be said, as I have experienced the let down! Feb 2013, Euro snow map was spitting out crazy maps over my area, like 14-22"! I got maybe 2-3" of mostly sleet and a little snow! Wow also just poster that the GFS ensemble maps DON'T seperate freezing rain, sleet and snow, it counts it all as snow and that's very detrimental, because sleet is like 3:1 ratio and ZR is even worse, and it's counting all amounts of frozen as snow at 10:1 ratios

But we know this and have known this for a long time. It's not new information and shouldn't be a surprise.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, this needs to be said, as I have experienced the let down! Feb 2013, Euro snow map was spitting out crazy maps over my area, like 14-22"! I got maybe 2-3" of mostly sleet and a little snow! Wow also just poster that the GFS ensemble maps DON'T seperate freezing rain, sleet and snow, it counts it all as snow and that's very detrimental, because sleet is like 3:1 ratio and ZR is even worse, and it's counting all amounts of frozen as snow at 10:1 ratios

I'd imagine ZR is slightly more or slightly less than 1:1, depending on how heavily it's falling and how cold the temps are. If it's near freezing and really coming down, it probably won't accrete at 1:1.

Not to banter but, I assume most would know this. I guess in the future one should state whether the maps takes into account ip/fz. Question, any models that show snowfall map outputs with only snow?

I don't know why some are so unwilling to acknowledge that the snow maps aren't well accounting for ip/zr in their totals and also that RDU could get more ice than snow.

Just for the record, I'm hoping for low-impact. There are contra dances that'll be cancelled. I'm kinda really stressed out right now. I don't want a crippling storm at all. So I am not pulling my usual shtick.

Hope for a more Miller A track.  Primary lows that run west of the apps are the culprit to crippling ice storms.

I saw a few asking -- YES there is a lot of mixing in the wxbell snowfall maps that show all snow, RAIN/ZR/IP in those images especially east and south of I-85 as Wow pointed out. Here's the sounding from the 18z GFS.

Textbook "mixed bag" during the height of the storm:

aKKQuIl.png

Not to banter but, I assume most would know this. I guess in the future one should state whether the maps takes into account ip/fz. Question, any models that show snowfall map outputs with only snow?

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I guess I also shouldn't expect an answer to the question about who is downplaying the threat.

First call map: 

Zone A: Predominately snow with some sleet mixing in. Totals could reach 1 to 2 feet. 

Zone B: Predominately wintry mix with snow and sleet being the predominate precipitation type. Freezing rain mixing in in the southern extent of the zone. Totals 3-6 inches with 0.10-0.15" of ice.

Zone C: Predominately freezing rain with rain mixing in at times near the southern extent of the zone. Totals 0.25-0.50" of ice with locally higher totals approaching or exceeding 1.00". 

post-4284-0-91304600-1453334808_thumb.gi

First call map: 

Zone A: Predominately snow with some sleet mixing in. Totals could reach 1 to 2 feet. 

Zone B: Predominately wintry mix with snow and sleet being the predominate precipitation type. Freezing rain mixing in in the southern extent of the zone. Totals 3-6 inches with 0.10-0.15" of ice.

Zone C: Predominately freezing rain with rain mixing in at times near the southern extent of the zone. Totals 0.25-0.50" of ice with locally higher totals approaching or exceeding 1.00". 

Any reason Zone A is not down to at least I-40 and Hickory? Other then that great looking map! :thumbsup:

Reason I ask everyone that I seen has anywhere from 6-18inches for the I-40 corridor :)

First call map: 

imo...conservative esp with the ice...more snow and ice in the B area...say 0.3 and above

Saving grace for Roanoke Rapids down to Raleigh and south is going to be that NE wind which comes in Friday evening, about the same time the low is over ILM.  That is going to flip those locations over to heavy rain, probably around 4-6pm and should knock down most of the accrual.  For areas further to the west, Burlington down to Gastonia, maybe Concord and Charlotte, that is kind of the inflection point for being sub freezing throughout.  

Pivotal weather has snowfall maps using the Kuchera Snowfall Method. It uses thermal profiles that calculated a specific snow ratio then uses that with qpf to generate snowfall.

I'm new here to this forum. Located in Northern Georgia. Thank you for the hard work everyone does trying to make predictions with a tricky weather situation on hand. This storm looks to be complicated, especially in our area. As you all know my area is prone to CAD related icestorms, and I do have one question for the experts. I have seen many posts on here saying that Miller A storms are better for ice storms, than apps runners? Why is this? Because the low will not interact with the CAD in an APPS Runner situation? 

Thanks again.

Here's what i came up with from looking at the hourly soundings on the bufkit skew t's for raleigh and hickory on the 18z NAM. gfs to come

Hickory = 9 inches of snow, 3 inches of sleet

Raleigh = 2 inches of snow, 1.5 inches of sleet, .6 freezing rain, rest is rain

This is using a 3:1 sleet ratio.

Archived