Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT has been posting the "High Resolution GFS Ensemble" snowfall maps on his FB page for a day or two now. I've noticed they've had consistently high snow totals for northern and western NC, though I do think that ZR/IP is included (I'm not certain of the website he's getting it from, though, but based on the totals I think so). Very impressive amounts:

post-13288-0-80562600-1453338542_thumb.j

DT has been posting the "High Resolution GFS Ensemble" snowfall maps on his FB page for a day or two now. I've noticed they've had consistently high snow totals for northern and western NC, though I do think that ZR/IP is included (I'm not certain of the website he's getting it from, though, but based on the totals I think so). Very impressive amounts:

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

I'd love 18-21"...seems much, but we'll take it :)

Really interested to see if the models start showing more of a single low that sweeps across the deep south then rides up the coast, instead of a weakening primary moving NE, then a secondary on the coast.  The trend has been more lateral movement and less northward progression of the primary.

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

South and east of I-85 is more ice mixing in. North of there looks to be mostly snow.

Really interested to see if the models start showing more of a single low that sweeps across the deep south then rides up the coast, instead of a weakening primary moving NE, then a secondary on the coast.  The trend has been more lateral movement and less northward progression of the primary.

I agree...thought I saw a model showing the low moving east from Florence to Morehead City then north up the coast...wouldn't that hammer central NC on the NW side of the lp?

GFS Bufkit soundings:

Hickory = 16 inches all snow (i didn't believe it at first, unreal)
Raleigh = 2 inches of sleet, .5 inch freezing rain, 2 inches of snow on backside. No snow to start on the gfs.

Very glad to hear that about Hickory thank you for the info!

NOAA planning recon flight tomorrow afternoon. 

NOUS42 KNHC 201715
REPRPD
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1215 PM EST WED 20 JANUARY 2016
SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)
         VALID 21/1100Z TO 22/1100Z JANUARY 2016
         WSPOD NUMBER.....15-051

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 71
       A. A66/DROP 8 (26.5N 95.0W) / 22/0000Z
       B. AFXXX 03WSA TRACK66
       C. 21/2000Z
       D. 10 AS SPECIFIED IN THE NWSOP
       E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE / 22/0200Z

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE TRACK A65
       WITH A CONTROL TIME OF 23/0000Z.

How to read:

A. Track/Control Point/Time
B. Mission Identifier
C. Departure Time
D. Drops Required/Added Positions
E. Altitude/Expiration Time

That's what I figured. How accurate do you think those totals are for areas that do stay all snow? You seem to be in favor of (or at least hoping for) a more Miller A-type system. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Given the strength of the storm on all levels I'll say widespread 8-12"+ is easy to see, and higher as you go up in elevation.  This isn't like the storms we've had over the past few years.  This will be a memorable storm.

Given the strength of the storm on all levels I'll say widespread 8-12"+ is easy to see, and higher as you go up in elevation.  This isn't like the storms we've had over the past few years.  This will be a memorable storm.

Thanks for all the info. What  is next big model run? The NAM ?

I'm still a little leery of a widespread icing event. Granted, there will be a major freezing rain episode for some but I think it'll be confined to a narrow stripe along the transition line.

Are you thinking more areas will stay snow (such as the I-85 corridor), or that we'll see more sleet rather than freezing rain?

SREF 21z is out. Looked warmer and wetter for the Triad region. Over 2" of precip.

I looked at the MSLP track/spread and it looked like some members took the LP up into TN.  A bit strange.  I think we toss unless something else goes that way this evening.  The NMB members showed a solid hit, but the NMM members had very little snow.

Mean QPF was 2.2"+, though.  Wow.

I want to say the SREFs tend to run a little warm, though.  Or maybe that's just a weenie bias.  Not sure.  :yikes:

I agree...thought I saw a model showing the low moving east from Florence to Morehead City then north up the coast...wouldn't that hammer central NC on the NW side of the lp?

No any low track that is along the NC coast is bad for everyone RDU to the east at least.....if it was a really weak low then it wouldn't be so bad but this is a 995ish low and the warm nose is going to be brutal and huge.....I think people are going to be disappointed by how much warm air there really is....we need Wow and his east track more miller A off the coast type scenario to come to pass.....something like that would keep most of NC all snow...otherwise this will be a I77 and west for the most part event......from RDU to I77 will get a decent thump though.

Thanks for your input! I agree- those who are able to stay mostly snow are about to see a very impressive system. Looking forward to seeing it play out!

Lastest AFD out of GSP pumps the IP into my area. However, a closer look at the GFS shows below all the way down till hr 72 where the surface is at 1.3. 

That would spell more snow. I agree with your statement and we should be able to ID that transition zone well late tomorrow. 

I'm still a little leery of a widespread icing event. Granted, there will be a major freezing rain episode for some but I think it'll be confined to a narrow stripe along the transition line.

Archived