Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough, the hr 45 panel from the 00z NAM is a bit colder in the mid-levels (earlier panels were warmer) than the 18z hr 51 panel.  Looks like the NC border counties are snowing (though I haven't looked at the Skew-Ts).  Looks like it's transferring now.

Lots of snow in the NC mountains and S VA on both the 18z and 00z, in any case.

Wow -- crazy swing from NAM this close to event -- big jog north -- 2ms hold up in Carolinas, but 850s not even close -- this would be all ice.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam/2016012100/nam_T850_seus_15.png

What am I missing? 850s look good in WNC when heavy precip is overhead.

Don't worry about that. The low will override that in a heartbeat. We need the low to stay south. Lets pray this isn't a trend. Glad i didn't call out of work Friday yet.

Models typically play catch-up with CAD as an event approaches, so I'm not really sure why I would ignore surface temps being colder. It's just one run why cliff dive?

Wow -- crazy swing from NAM this close to event -- big jog north -- 2ms hold up in Carolinas, but 850s not even close -- this would be all ice.

All stems from wrapping up the ULL too quickly. The confluent flow over the NE is going to prevent the trough axis from going negative and drawing the primary this far north. 

Hey, who am I to question you -- this storm should be named after you!!! Definitely a run that just doesn't add up. I sure hope so -- that's a lot of ice ...

All stems from wrapping up the ULL too quickly. The confluent flow over the NE is going to prevent the trough axis from going negative and drawing the primary this far north.

Better sampled storm now you think?

I don't really buy into the sampling idea, in general.  Our worldwide observation network is excellent these days.

Frankly, maybe it's just the NAM, which tends to overamplify storms, being the NAM.  Or maybe it's not... time will tell.  Oftentimes, the NAM is the NW outlier, though.

Wow, right after I dissed the SREF the NAM comes out and goes from 20" in AVL to 5". This is after I already paid a non refundable deposit on a hotel room..... :axe: :axe: :axe:  I hope this is just the NAM being the NAM. but I have a sinking feeling in my gut.....

As a fellow meteorologist I definitely respect your opinion. However I do not understand how you are bittercasting. You chose the worst model for winter precip for Raleigh and then hug it. What is the meteorological explanation for the change?

Archived