• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

With transfers, there is always a precip min. That's just the way it is. It's inescapable. But does it really matter if you get an inch of QPF before it occurs?

Yeah it really doesn't. They're could be a good 2-3 hours of heavy precip that makes up for whoever dry slots. We will see.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit puzzling looking at the Skew-Ts for GSO... The one I posted above is below freezing throughout the column and there's a ton of QPF in that range.  Likewise, the hr 36 sounding looks snowy and the ones after 39 are either right at freezing or just above (probably mostly sleet).  I'd imagine more than 1" of that is snow.  And the remainder looks like sleet, which would add to accumulations to some degree (3:1ish ratio).

For Greensboro and this run of the GFS, 850-700mb thick are close to 1550m between 36 and 42hrs (looking at 39 too) with some small waffling back and forth.  Does a fit with the nomogram as 1000-850mb thickness is close to 1280m.  Right on the line between all snow or snow with sleet, and icing.

For Greensboro and this run of the GFS, 850-700mb thick are close to 1550m between 36 and 42hrs (looking at 39 too) with some small waffling back and forth.  Does a fit with the nomogram as 1000-850mb thickness is close to 1280m.  Right on the line between all snow or snow with sleet, and icing.

Thanks.

I have just seen the crappy maps up on Meteociel.fr so far, but the GGEM looks similar to the GFS and sets up I-85/I-40 as the battleground between snow and ice.  Looks like an ice storm down into NE GA and upstate SC, as well.  Pretty cold at the surface, though it seems to unrealistically (to me) erode the CAD further south as the storm goes on.

Man, the GFS keeps wringing out snow for RDU and point North and east through Sunday morning

This is an aspect I'm curious about for this event, as I suspect I will go over to rain for some period being as far east as I am. But I'm also about as far north in NC as possible, so I'm wondering how long I can stay in snow on the backside. Its looking like into Sunday morning at least. It will be interesting.

As several have mentioned, the key difference with this set of runs is the earlier and farther west closing off of the ULL. This allows the dry slot to get farther north, before the backside band sets in. This is why the GFS has less snow in western NC than the previous runs of the Euro, NAM etc which had less of a break in the heavier precip due to the dry slot. I doubt this earlier closing off trend reverses, but anything is possible.

NAM, CMC, RGEM icy around Columbia, SC. Now we await the Euro which was dangerously close at 12z.

Notice the trends. Pushing stronger and stronger south with the LL cold advection. kCHS believes at this time, the region down here gets warm sectored on Friday, upper 60's with bulk shear through the roof. Right now, I can conceivably see this and also conceivably see this region get wedged in too. IF KCHS gets locked in the wedge, I will guarantee the SFC low transfer is south of here and of course, puts KCAE in a dangerous situation.

Notice the trends. Pushing stronger and stronger south with the LL cold advection. kCHS believes at this time, the region down here gets warm sectored on Friday, upper 60's with bulk shear through the roof. Right now, I can conceivably see this and also conceivably see this region get wedged in too. IF KCHS gets locked in the wedge, I will guarantee the SFC low transfer is south of here and of course, puts KCAE in a dangerous situation.

Yes sir, you provide absolutely amazing insight for this region.  Thanks very much for it.

The only model left to really show ice around here is the Euro and it was around 34-35 at 12z at a point of heavy moisture.  Wind would be a problem this way I would bet regardless?

I don't think the model runs were that bad...the NAM is clueless...clearly evident by the CMC and GFS

I think someone has already mentioned that the NAM was emphasizing an MCS and a convective feedback low popped close to the ULL. basically, i see that just ends up screwing up the rest of the run really.

Simply put, I still see the possibility pf the transference occurring a bit offshore, particularly if my region gets wedged in. It's also plausible I do get warm sectored on Friday, which of course, my attention will be on SVR given such strong wind fields and ridiculous amounts of shear. (classic high shear, low cape environment).

Fun times ahead.

The 00z UKMET is a bomb.  Unbelievable amounts of QPF.  Looks to track to N AL, then transfer to S GA and up the NC/SC coast.  Unfortunately, it's hard to compare it since it did not run yesterday (or at least it doesn't show up on the Meteocentre site).  h5 track looks decent to me.  The surface low probably isn't great for the central/eastern Piedmont or certainly the coastal plain, though.

Take a look for yourself: http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=na&run=00&mod=ukmet&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=ukmet&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=048&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=000

Archived