• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Yes sir, you provide absolutely amazing insight for this region. Thanks very much for it.

The only model left to really show ice around here is the Euro and it was around 34-35 at 12z at a point of heavy moisture. Wind would be a problem this way I would bet regardless?

Yes. The raw output on the GEM was high enough on its own to be very damaging. Throw in a 20mph+ wind and down goes the trees, power lines, etc.

Remember that Feb 2014 icestorm. 31-32 down here. Roads stayed wet but ice accrual of .50 had thia region sounding like a warzone with all the snapping trees. I had 15 mph winds with gusts at times over 30. Very damaging event.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z UKMET is a bomb.  Unbelievable amounts of QPF.  Looks to track to N AL, then transfer to S GA and up the NC/SC coast.  Unfortunately, it's hard to compare it since it did not run yesterday (or at least it doesn't show up on the Meteocentre site).  h5 track looks decent to me.  The surface low probably isn't great for the central/eastern Piedmont or certainly the coastal plain, though.

Take a look for yourself: http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=na&run=00&mod=ukmet&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=ukmet&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=048&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=000

Beautiful I'll take the UKMET and go home! 

The 00z UKMET is a bomb.  Unbelievable amounts of QPF.  Looks to track to N AL, then transfer to S GA and up the NC/SC coast.  Unfortunately, it's hard to compare it since it did not run yesterday (or at least it doesn't show up on the Meteocentre site).  h5 track looks decent to me.  The surface low probably isn't great for the central/eastern Piedmont or certainly the coastal plain, though.

The UKMET is a very wet model, usually too wet.

Yes. The raw output on the GEM was high enough on its own to be very damaging. Throw in a 20mph+ wind and down goes the trees, power lines, etc.

Remember that Feb 2014 icestorm. 31-32 down here. Roads stayed wet but ice accrual of .50 had thia region sounding like a warzone with all the snapping trees. I had 15 mph winds with gusts at times over 30. Very damaging event.

Yes, at my area we lucked out with sleet and ended at about 0.15 or so of ZR.  Even that was a problem when the wind picked up.  15 miles to my south was 1/4 inch of ice and an even bigger problem... then the core of the ZR South of there caused the disaster / fema aid.

I believe the RGEM handled that event very well up this way.  That worries me a bit with the RGEM/CMC trying to get on board.  

With that said, the RGEM and CMC have been a bit too cold around here this season.

Also, if I am reading the UKMET correctly, it looks to be less ice during the main portion of precip around here.... but I can not be sure with the maps I have on how much it starts as.

GEFS is slower, wetter, and colder ar 42 hrs

Despite the cliff jumping due to the 00z GFS, the GEFS isn't that much different if at all it's pretty negligible in the big picture. I doubt the ensembles change much from here on out. 

Despite the cliff jumping due to the 00z GFS, the GEFS isn't that much different if at all it's pretty negligible in the big picture. I doubt the ensembles change much from here on out. 

NAM sucked but the GFS was fine except for overdoing the strenth of the primary I believe.  UKMET keeps the primary south and transfers due east to GA/SC coast.

NAM sucked but the GFS was fine except for overdoing the strenth of the primary I believe.  UKMET keeps the primary south and transfers due east to GA/SC coast.

That would be so much better for all of NC, just need it to stay offshore, the Ukie had the SLP a good 100 miles east of Hatteras at 18Z a track from GA/SC coast to there would change things a lot for many in NC......

is this compared to the 18z GEFS or the 00z GFS?

So in that post I was pretty much commenting on the 00z GEFS saying that it hasn't changed much from the 18z GEFS and that it's negligible, so the 00z GFS cliff jumping was more or less unwarranted and pretty much an overreaction based off the 00z NAM. If that answers your question.

So in that post I was pretty much commenting on the 00z GEFS saying that it hasn't changed much from the 18z GEFS and that it's negligible, so the 00z GFS cliff jumping was more or less unwarranted and pretty much an overreaction based off the 00z NAM. If that answers your question.

Ok, thank you. That completely answers my question. Tough that the Nam and GFS were so a bit north. This upcoming Euro run isn't the most important Euro run, but rather, the toughest I'd say. I don't know if I can watch. The 12z solution was not only historic, but reasonable (in this context) as well. Hopefully this king stands firm; this is the last Euro run I think has significant importance before short range models and now-casting become the better techniques. 

The 00z GFS BUFKIT data shows 4.8" snow, 2.1" of just sleet, and 0.31" ZR out of like 2.06" of QPF for GSP.

Nice.

Also from BUFKIT from the 00z GFS:

DAN: 18.6" SN, 0.39" PL, 0.00" ZR, 2.05" TQPF (all-frozen) - That's Danville, VA, BTW.

ROA: 17.8" SN, 0.00" PL, 0.00" ZR, 1.62" TQPF (all-snow)

GSO: 10.4" SN, 1.2" PL, 0.02" ZR (really love the last part!), 1.89" TQPF (all-frozen)

RDU: 2.3" SN, 0.92" PL, 0.29" ZR, 2.58" TQPF (changes over to rain)

HKY: 5.6" SN, 0.00" PL, 0.28" ZR, 1.23" TQPF (changes over to rain)

CLT: 1.9" SN, 0.48" PL, 0.52" ZR, 1.48" TQPF (changes over to rain)

AVL: 5.6" SN, 0.15" PL, 0.04" ZR 0.86" TQPF (all-frozen)

Source: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/

Archived