Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, right after I dissed the SREF the NAM comes out and goes from 20" in AVL to 5". This is after I already paid a non refundable deposit on a hotel room..... :axe: :axe: :axe: I hope this is just the NAM being the NAM. but I have a sinking feeling in my gut.....

Don't worry yet. NAM hasn't done well around here in a long time, especially in winter. My personal blend is GEFS and EPS. Just saw a talk last week at AMS saying EPS was superior inside 48 hours.

We got NAM'd. Given the look and feel of GEFS I would be stunned if it changed much over its earlier runs from today. NAM just all over the place each run. 18Z no exception to that with its ridiculous QPF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a fellow meteorologist I definitely respect your opinion. However I do not understand how you are bittercasting. You chose the worst model for winter precip for Raleigh and then hug it. What is the meteorological explanation for the change?

Raleigh? I am talking about Asheville, not Raleigh The Euro ensembles and the GFS ensembles also had well over 10" for AVL.

If anyone were to listen to one thing I post on here remember it is the nam and it has a KNOWN BIAS for over amplifying as well as sometimes overdoing the qpf production. I don't buy it for a second unless models start to trend. That was a pretty sizeable jump. Could the balloons and special soundings etc helped a bit maybe but...

Agree. The whole I-85 corridor would get it -- 850s not even close to freezing until the very end -- 1.5 inches of QPF into upper 20s air with +5 850s for about 12 hours? UGLY.

EDIT: Having said that, I don't buy this run.

Having said THAT, SOMEBODY is going to be in a strip of 1+ inch FZRA.

The NAM absolutely murders raleigh with ZR. Snow on the backside. I don't think people get how nasty this would be if it's right.

Eric Thomas had a great statement (during the live hangout) about the rates during this event when one is under Freezing rain. Since the rates are progged to be heavy the freezing rain should not have time to accumulate on power lines like a slow drizzle that occurs over a long time period. 

Agree. The whole I-85 corridor would get it -- 850s not even close to freezing until the very end -- 1.5 inches of QPF into upper 20s air with +5 850s for about 12 hours? UGLY.

EDIT: Having said that, I don't buy this run.

Having said THAT, SOMEBODY is going to be in a strip of 1+ inch FZRA.

Don't wishcast guys, it could be right lol. That said, looking at the entire model, there's probably some feedback issues with the convective precip in the deep south. The SLP on models tend to following the highest concentrations of convection. At hour 30, there is a large MCS banding area over TN. The SLP jumps towards that area at hour 36. This can potentially throw off the entire run. The NAM has a history of overdoing these MCS. This in turn shifts the entire deformation banding area further north. This is the initial surge of moisture. The SLP off the coastline is pretty much identical to 18z.

namconus_ref_us_10.png

Don't wishcast guys, it could be right lol. That said, looking at the entire model, there's probably some feedback issues with the convective precip in the deep south. The SLP on models tend to following the highest concentrations of convection. At hour 30, there is a large MCS banding area over TN. The SLP jumps towards that area at hour 36. This can potentially throw off the entire run. The NAM has a history of overdoing these MCS. This in turn shifts the entire deformation banding area further north. This is the initial surge of moisture. The SLP off the coastline is pretty much identical to 18z.

Now there's your Pro analysis ladies and gentlemen.  Thanks Hickory

That's right, the exception being super cold air. When I was at Sewanee in 1988, we had a driving freezing rain storm and ... 19 DEGREES! That stuff stuck to everything and it was pouring! Don't think that will be an issue, even with upper 20s during the heaviest of the precip.

Eric Thomas had a great statement (during the live hangout) about the rates during this event when one is under Freezing rain. Since the rates are progged to be heavy the freezing rain should not have time to accumulate on power lines like a slow drizzle that occurs over a long time period.

Now there's your Pro analysis ladies and gentlemen.  Thanks Hickory

lol thx.

BTW to give some perspective. Below is Jan 96 at similar point in its evolution. Notice the triple SLP areas. One reflection associated with the upper low over SE tn, one over the deep south, and one off the coastline. None of these are dominate at this point in the storms evolution. So i wouldn't get too fixated on SLP track. Concentrate more on the upper low.

010706.png

RGEM...could be a long night... I'm going to bed now...hopefully the other models will hang in there.

The RGEM starts as snow (for you and I and a lot of the state), then goes over to a raging sleet storm.  Not too different from its 18z run, IIRC.

Mets on here have said it tends to overamplify things out past 24 hours, though.

Archived