Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's about the only 12z UKMET map I can dig up, retrieved from here: http://www.wxcaster.com/conus_0012_foreign_models.htm

Hr 72 surface panel:

CONUS_UKMET_SFC_SLP_72HR.gif

Conservative IMO

Yeah, you can see where the RAH and GSP WFO border that RAH is a more conservative overall, comparing the forecasts right across the county line.

Here's about the only 12z UKMET map I can dig up, retrieved from here: http://www.wxcaster.com/conus_0012_foreign_models.htm

Hr 72 surface panel:

CONUS_UKMET_SFC_SLP_72HR.gif

Yeah, you can see where the RAH and GSP WFO border that RAH is a more conservative overall, comparing the forecasts right across the county line.

Thats where we need the SLP to actually be, this over the sounds or OBX crap isnt good for anyone.....there will be a lot more ice out west than snow if there is a 995mb low over the Pamlico Sound and of course 2" of rain for me, but if it was that far offshore everyone would be all snow....think 1980

For RAH:

- IF THE MODELS CONTINUE TO TREND FARTHER SOUTH WITH THE LOW TRACK
AND SUBSEQUENT COLDER AIR...WE`D HAVE TO SHIFT THE AFOREMENTIONED
ITEMS AND IMPACTS FARTHER SOUTH.
- THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT AN IMPRESSIVE DRY SLOT WRAPPING AROUND
THIS SYSTEM MAY ACTUALLY CUT OFF THE PRECIP SOONER THAN EXPECTED...
WHICH WOULD ULTIMATELY LESSEN THE AFOREMENTIONED AMOUNTS.

When it comes to p type, I know this is really not like the 12/2002 event, but we were supposed to get all freezing rain, and we actually had alot more sleet mixed in and as devastating as that storm was, it could have been alot worse! Don't remember the QPF for that one, but it was alot. So basically root for more sleet, so a deeper cold layer, if you are in the 1.25 ice zone!

Thats where we need the SLP to actually be, this over the sounds or OBX crap isnt good for anyone.....there will be a lot more ice out west than snow if there is a 995mb low over the Pamlico Sound and of course 2" of rain for me, but if it was that far offshore everyone would be all snow....think 1980

I disagree, it's great for myself and the others in the NW mtns of NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I have heard of a dry slot here.

GFS continues to increase the totals ND precip. Also sounded like the track went a tad east off the NC coast.

No it is not. I have mentioned the dry slot potential several times. If the system takes the progged track, we will dry slot. It would help cut down on ice accums, assuming the temps remain cold enough.

I disagree, it's great for myself and the others in the NW mtns of NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno you guys would do pretty good regardless though, the difference for you would be "only" 12" instead of 18" the difference for me and folks in central and eastern NC is between 2" of rain and 6-12" of snow.....

If the low track is over the sounds central/eastern NC will dry slot which is fine just means less rain......

Skew-Ts indicate that the I-40 corridor in NC (INT, GSO, etc.) is very close to all-snow on the 18z GFS.  There are a couple panels where we may be mixing with sleet, but it really depends on the precip rates.  Interesting trend considering the GFS was mostly ZR/IP here yesterday.

Its going to be interesting, because I am far enough east now that I still fully expect to switch to zr or even plain rain for a while before transitioning back to snow, but being so close to the projected position of the slp when it is due east of me, the wrap around should present descent rates.

This map is definitely affected by ice, and I have not examined soundings; however, the p-type maps seem to indicate that a lot of this actually is snow for I-40 north and west.  The amount of precipitation for this event is just amazing.

TYsiP7P.png

This is the same map partitioned by precipitation type:

gfs_ptype_accum_nc_21.png

The 18z GEFS is out.  Here is cumulative total precipitation and snowfall comparing the 18z (first) with the 12z (last run).  The 18z is a bit wetter and the snowfall mean has came south a bit.  Of course, we're within range where the operationals should be paid more attention, but nevertheless...

h6LUw1L.gif

WF1xIH8.gif

ATL could be the winner based on this.....

So looks like the threat has really dimished for RDU based on dry slot potential and more mixing/rain issues. Also reading NWS AFD seems like more ice and rain than anything

Over the last 24 hours, the threat of an impactful winter storm for the Triangle has increased. It will not be a snowstorm. We will be lucky to get a few inches of snow. There will be a warm nose aloft and a dry slot. It will not be an historic storm, but it will be significant. A nice winter storm.

Archived