joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see DT went south with his snow map, he usually does pretty decently in NC contrary to popular belief. Not a bad map for NC.

Not a bad map at all. The only thing I see that I would change, is that I think the 4-8, 8-12, 12-18 line, will cutoff closer to the SC border as you come up the mountains, rather than at the Henderson/Buncombe county line. I very rarely have ever, if at all, seen it to where the difference between Hendersonville and Asheville, is that steep in terms of snowfall....... especially with storms of this magnitude.

"* Accumulations... snow accumulations through this evening will
range from a dusting to just under one inch. Then... for
Thursday night through Saturday... total snow accumulation of 4
to 8 inches... and potentially near 12 inches around Winston-
Salem... along with ice accumulations of one quarter to one half
inch... are possible."

A foot near Winston? wow

"* Accumulations... snow accumulations through this evening will

range from a dusting to just under one inch. Then... for

Thursday night through Saturday... total snow accumulation of 4

to 8 inches... and potentially near 12 inches around Winston-

Salem... along with ice accumulations of one quarter to one half

inch... are possible."

A foot near Winston? wow

Yep, they've pulled the trigger.  Forecasting 2-4" Thursday night, then additional 'heavy' accumulation Friday, then additional 'moderate' accumulation Fri night. Then tapering off Saturday with additional 'light' accumulation. It's going to be a slow mover. 

The position of the ULL is still something that has yet to be nailed down.  Given how deep this trough is digging (into the GOM!), there is still plenty of room for the ULL center to drop even further south.  While the base of the trough remained in the same place throughout the past 4 runs of the NAM, the location of the ULL center moved south from C TN to near ATL.

u0RSult.png

Some of the ensembles show this happening.  That would force the transfer further south and allow the ULL to capture the low further south.. which would put DC at risk of getting on the northern edge of the precip.

IMO the EURO has been consistent enough in its forecast for north Georgia to warrant a winter storm watch from Atlanta northward for overnight Friday into Saturday morning. The reason I don't see the watch being posted until at least tomorrow morning is because this storm is landing on a weekend rather than a school night. Therefore they have a little more of waiting period to sling out the watches/warnings. Now if this was coming on a school night/work morning then watches would be going up right now for north Georgia from Atlanta northward. Again...just my opinion....

are you serious ? I haven't seen many models showing significant snow for the I-20 corridor. This is not going to be a big deal for the ATL metro.

In Asheville, the record for any storm is 16" in the '93 superstorm. The NAM has about 20", the EPS 16". Glad I pulled the trigger on the chase.....

Just 16"?  UNCA campus recorded 24" just 10 miles north of there.  Maybe that was a WAG measurement at UNCA.  LOL

you said you are going to Asheville ? I haven't decided where I'm going. Somewhere in NC or TN. Im debating on whether I should go somewhere that will see epic snow amounts or go somewhere that gets a good bit of snow but not so much that it'll make it hard to get back home. I have to work on Sunday afternoon !

Go to Archers Mtn Inn on Beech Mtn.  Elevation over 4,600 ft up.  It's on the south facing side of Beech.  They have a restaurant and bar on site.  Plus its on the main road to get to Ski Beech so it gets plowed all the time.  Done...

http://www.archersinn.com/

looking at the Bufkit Warehouse/Cobb Data Table for the 18Z NAM (CLT looks like a mixed bag)

KCLT

total qpf - 1.96

total ZR - 0.71

total PL - 0.28

total SN - 6.6

KGSP

total qpf - 2.23

total ZR - 0.12

total PL - 0.38

total SN - 2.1

KGMU (downtown Greenville)

total qpf - 2.47

total ZR - 0.48

total PL - 0.33

total SN - 2.6

I personally think it snows in all of NC at some points and this becomes a dangerous storm for many in NC and SC. I could see snow reaching all the way down to Charleston, SC at some point.

I'm curious - why exactly do you think this? What are you seeing that gives you this conclusion? It sounds amazing, and I would love to see it happen.

Archived