Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

Frosty:

My hunch is that map is gonna play out in the Carolinas while TN gets the action.

We'll see and we'll have fun tracking it no matter what the outcome !

And you are sharp on picking up on Bastardi's 'circling' North and West of the SE.... that is a good sign of having to back peddle a bit when things don't totally work out as planned.

He also things we are going to Snowmagaddon, but no guarantees of course!

He says in the area circled, you have a chance to see the greatest 30-45 day period of winter weather that you have ever seen. He commented that was from Texas to the Mid Atlantic

GUKYEex.png

It's the first time this winter, That I didn't see him circle the SE! Now I've not seen all his videos, But like you said I'm taking it as a little back step possibly? Texas to Mid Atlantic is west of the Mountains.  lol. I still think we will see a storm or two but I'm really not looking for that great 30-45 day stretch here. 

#El Nino for the win!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mack is gonna be pure comedy when he sees the snow hole upstate got on the 12z gfs. Long way to go on this one. Still feel coastal plain NC always had and still is ground zero for a 10+ storm this season in NC even ahead of the mtns. That was a day 8 gfs run so take with a grain of salt, but it shows the potential that's a given with the long wave pattern that's developong.

a question about models versus the real world.....i see some excitement over models showing multiple systems now, while for a couple of days now i have been watching the real world and indeed there are 3 systems spinning around off the coast of california and further north, and another over land around the 4 corners area.....these are REAL already happening, and are now being reflected by the models......the question is simply which is best to follow the REAL world where the storms are happening or the models predictions for several days out?  did those storms in the pacific exist before they started showing up on the models?  of course they did....and do the models showing where they are going to be in a few days reflect ACCURATE positioning?....also i am aware these upper air circulations as they move east can and will spawn surface lows the question remains where and when will they form?

18z will come soon enough and squash everyone's good mood :frostymelt:

Yep, Operational runs determine the frequency and excitement of posters on this forum. "OP shows snow omg in all in!!! I must talk about how much I love this time period for snOMG!" When the threat has been there for days on the ensembles. Tons of banter to read through on top of the pot stirrers....can't keep up. /venting

Yep, Operational runs determine the frequency and excitement of posters on this forum. "OP shows snow omg in all in!!! I must talk about how much I love this time period for snOMG!" When the threat has been there for days on the ensembles. Tons of banter to read through on top of the pot stirrers....can't keep up. /venting

Yup. Cant get too high or too low this far out. Rookie mistake. 

Frosty:

My hunch is that map is gonna play out in the Carolinas while TN gets the action.

We'll see and we'll have fun tracking it no matter what the outcome !

And you are sharp on picking up on Bastardi's 'circling' North and West of the SE.... that is a good sign of having to back peddle a bit when things don't totally work out as planned.

He also things we are going to Snowmagaddon, but no guarantees of course!

He says in the area circled, you have a chance to see the greatest 30-45 day period of winter weather that you have ever seen. He commented that was from Texas to the Mid Atlantic

GUKYEex.png

Wait.... Isn't that area circled the same area that had an amazing winter last year ?

It must be gonna snow. Everyone on my facebook that have no idea what they are talking about are sharing a weather forecast from a storm from 2010 and saying that's how much snow we're going to see next week...Like they have no idea that the graph is 5 years old...c'mon now...

That's usually the case for my friends on Facebook when they're not talking about the weather.

I know there's zero evidence or correlation to this, but if the storm around MLK Day does end up being the SE's first winter storm, it's interesting how going back to past notable winter storms over the past 16 years of this century have occurred either on the weekend or around/during the holidays. I know they're coincidences, but it's still interesting to me nonetheless.

1. January 22, 2000 (Icestorm; occurred on Saturday)

2. January 28, 2000 (Another Icestorm; occurred Superbowl Weekend)

3. December 17, 2000 (Occurred on a Sunday)

4. January 28, 2005 (Icestorm; started on a Friday/ended Saturday)

5. January 19, 2008 (Occurred on a Saturday)

6. March 1, 2009 (Occurred on a Sunday)

7. February 12, 2010 (Occurred on a Friday)

8. December 25, 2010 (Occurred on a Saturday)

9. January 9-10, 2011 (Started on Sunday, ended on Monday)

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevents/listevents.jsp?eventType=ALL&beginDate_mm=01&beginDate_dd=01&beginDate_yyyy=2000&endDate_mm=09&endDate_dd=30&endDate_yyyy=2015&county=FULTON%3A121&hailfilter=0.00&tornfilter=0&windfilter=000&sort=DT&submitbutton=Search&statefips=13%2CGEORGIA

Archived