joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun, and to check out these winter COD soundings with a potential storm, I checked out the 18z GFS at hr 144 over my head. Just thought it was cool to see "blizzard" in the Potential hazard type box. Wanted to share. Purely for entertainment.

This is a 'pet-peeve' of mine, we do not get true blizzards like North Dakota does, in fact I wish that were done away with for the Northeast. In the Blizzard of 1996, I believe one east coast station reported definition blizzard conditions.

I still dont understand why a paid site like Wxbell, has slower model frame outputs at the time of release than a free site like tidbits... I'll be 6 frames behind sometimes especially with SV

Higher res filtering of the model data through wxbell's (aka Ryan Maue's) color scheme is the main difference. Trade off of nicer and higher resolution graphics for slower update speeds. We call this the '50 shades of Maue' effect.

1965-66 had its first measurable snow on the 20th of January totaling 0.4"...this year we get 0.4" on the 17th for the first measurable snow...Do we get three storms during the next two weeks like 1966?...at least there are chances moving forward...

The rubber band is about to snap back. In the process we score.

Fwiw Mt hollys discussion was very bullish

FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...A WINTER STORM IS LIKELY AND THOSE WITH

TRAVEL-OUTDOOR PLANS FOR THE DELMARVA, EASTERN PA AND NJ SHOULD

THINK ABOUT CONTINGENCY PLANNING FOR ADVERSE WINTER WX. THIS

INCLUDES THE POTENTIAL FOR SUBSTANTIAL PRECIPITATION, INCLUDING A

POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL. NORTHEAST TO NORTH WIND GUSTS

25 TO 40 MPH...STRONGEST ALONG THE COAST.

WE DO NOT POST SNOW ACCUMULATION GRAPHICS AND SNOW PROBABILITIES

ON OUR WINTER WEATHER PAGE BEYOND 72 HOURS. HOWEVER, WPC HAD A 50

TO 70 PCT PROBABILITY OF AT LEAST A QUARTER INCH OF MELTED WATER

EQUIVALENT PRECIPITATION ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR.

0Z Monday op GFS  thru 96 hrs has   closed 500 Low over ne TX- Not over  MISSOURI   or  OH like 12z GFS --  HIUGE  shift south

very good news for those wanting the    last several european model runs / EPS  to verify 

More would go wrong if there was disagreement right now. Having major agreement on a big storm on the major models is a huge plus even if it's 5 days out.

Amazing!!! This certainly looks and feels different... The models finally are nearly in agreement...something that's been missing this season!

Archived