joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIG shift towards the Euro with 2 foot snowfall amounts around DC and Baltimore and 1 foot amounts throughout much of our area. It just continues to keep things a bit south of the Euro and Canadian runs, but it will likely shift north towards the Euro as time goes on.

Any reason(s) to why the gfs will shift north?

I don't see a Feb 2010 redux, which is a good thing because there won't be a massive cutoff around our area. The blocking is nowhere like it was back then.

The way this closes off though is going to be "awe" worthy for somebody if this verifies.

Any semblance to 1/96 regarding how it closes off on the models mets?

I don't see a Feb 2010 redux, which is a good thing because there won't be a massive cutoff around our area. The blocking is nowhere like it was back then.

The way this closes off though is going to be "awe" worthy for somebody if this verifies.

There is residual North Atlantic blocking. The AO is negative and there is a block high over Quebec.

Talk about rare. Sounds effect snow possible..

SHORT TERM /6 AM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

WEAK HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN FOR MONDAY. THERE MAY AN ISOLATED

SNOW SHOWER OR FLURRY ACROSS INLAND AREAS OF THE LOWER HUDSON

VALLEY WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS

REACHING THESE AREAS. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY FOR SOME SNOW

SHOWERS ACROSS THE TWIN FORKS AS MUCH COLDER AIR MOVING OVER THE

RELATIVELY WARM WATERS ALLOW FOR SOUND EFFECT SNOW.

AS MENTIONED...IT WILL BE COLD...WITH TEMPERATURES NOT GETTING

ABOVE FREEZING. WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE...ALLOWING FOR WIND CHILL

VALUES IN THE TEENS DURING THE DAY...AND SINGLE DIGITS...ON EITHER

SIDE OF ZERO...MONDAY NIGHT.

-- End Changed Discussion --

It would be more 12/09 if anything

The redux part was a joke as the DGEX showed it, but it's a obviously a joke of a model. In regards to it being closed off at H5, that is huge because if it does close off and the storm gets captured we could potentially be looking at one of the better setups in a while, to get such a long duration storm given the flow this season would be pretty incredible. Yes yes, I know this is still 5 days or so out, but the consensus and overall potential assures me a sleepless week.

So, would you rather jackpot with 8-10" of snow from a weaker system, or receive 8-10" of snow from a very strong system while DC to PHL get 20-30"?? I'd rather take the stronger storm. While it can be frustrating watching others get the brunt of it, tracking the storms on the weather models right up to the event is half of the fun. Many different solutions are still on the table at this point, but it looks great for us

So, would you rather jackpot with 8-10" of snow from a weaker system, or receive 8-10" of snow from a very strong system while DC to PHL get 20-30"?? I'd rather take the stronger storm. While it can be frustrating watching others get the brunt of it, tracking the storms on the weather models right up to the event is half of the fun. Many different solutions are still on the table at this point, but it looks great for us

I'd rather have an absolute bomb (with solid winds) because it's fascinating to watch the big ones unfold, you'll never see me complaining about a 10 inch snowstorm, regardless of whether or not someone else got 3 feet.

I am really hoping the same thing. We are roughly 5.5 days away from the potential storm so we will definitely be getting into crunch time with the 12z runs tomorrow where we should be around 4-4.5 days away at that point.

Yeah, it would be nice if the number #1 Day 8 analog was even a fraction correct.

How some are saying we don't have blocking is mind boggling to me.

Soooo....if we have blocking it's suppressed, and if we don't it's progressive...so tell me when the setup is right for us in the NYC metro area, cause I give up....and he we are talking about a storm which has a good chance of not even happening, right?

I'd rather have an absolute bomb (with solid winds) because it's fascinating to watch the big ones unfold, you'll never see me complaining about a 10 inch snowstorm, regardless of whether or not someone else got 3 feet.

Well if you love the evolution of big storms then I guess it doesn't matter, but for me if someone 4 hrs away gets a huge blizzard and I get a run of the mill 8-10, well I guess I like the mood snow but it wouldn't be a memorable storm for me, anymore than 12/09. 2/06/, 1/15 was, or 2/13, which was only good because it was really not expected to do much here iIRC.

How some are saying we don't have blocking is mind boggling to me.

At the moment we do still have residual NATL blocking.  However, there's a clear weakening in the blocking signal over the pole for the weekend and the same can be said for the NAO region as well.

Transitional periods aren't necessarily a bad thing here.  In my experience over the years, the Mid-Atl and NYC Metro can and have gotten very big snow storms in these transitional periods, especially with an STJ influence on the pattern.  However, I can see why some in here are at least mentioning that the pattern for this coming weekend will not be nearly as blocked up...that's because it won't be.

If you notice your posts disappearing, it means you posted in the wrong thread. The banter thread is your friend and will save you from warnings and suspensions. This is the last time I will say this. Enjoy tracking.

Well I stick to banter unless posting an observation since I am not literate with this stuff, but I have learned a lot.

At the moment we do still have residual NATL blocking.  However, there's a clear weakening in the blocking signal over the pole for the weekend and the same can be said for the NAO region as well.

Transitional periods aren't necessarily a bad thing here.  In my experience over the years, the Mid-Atl and NYC Metro can and have gotten very big snow storms in these transitional periods, especially with an STJ influence on the pattern.  However, I can see why some in here are at least mentioning that the pattern for this coming weekend will not be nearly as blocked up...that's because it won't be.

Might that not work to our advantage? Less chance of suppression?

Archived