joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2015 Obs and Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of an interesting setup coming next week. Looks like Patricia in the epac is going to hit the Mexico coast as a major tomorrow evening. GFS tracks the remnants into TX or the GOM. Midweek next week a sw trough digs through the the 4 corners and absorbs the remnants.  

A lot of uncertainty of course but there remains the potential for a pretty nice precip event next week. Something worth tracking in the face of yet another really boring stretch of wx. 

A bit of an interesting setup coming next week. Looks like Patricia in the epac is going to hit the Mexico coast as a major tomorrow evening. GFS tracks the remnants into TX or the GOM. Midweek next week a sw trough digs through the the 4 corners and absorbs the remnants.  

A lot of uncertainty of course but there remains the potential for a pretty nice precip event next week. Something worth tracking in the face of yet another really boring stretch of wx. 

how are the 850s? :P

Pretty good setup for a heavy rain event. PWAT indices using GFS around 0.5-0.75" on Tuesday as the high mid week moves overhead. In less than 36 hours, PWAT indices shoot up over 1.6" through the region with good moisture convergence over the MA. I forecast for some locations down in Texas for my job and PWAT indices around 2.75-3" are showing up across south-central TX, so the tropical origin of the moisture source will be interesting to watch. Some locales could see 3-5" of rain in 12 hours down there if the Euro is right. 

Then the front, end of next week clears everything out and we see a good dry air advection behind the boundary. Windy for Friday with a decent pressure gradient setup and winds out of the north. Temps feeling fall like too with low to mid 30's in Jonjon territory and 40's elsewhere. Not bad.

Pretty good setup for a heavy rain event. 

It is. I like the fact that both the GFS/Euro track the low center to our west but not too far. Hopefully that holds. Could be a substantial plume out in front of the trough before the low passes our latitude. 

Depending on how it shakes out...I suppose there could be some instability in the warm sector...I'll let Ian take the lead and follow Yoda's cut and paste of the good stuff....heh

It has been an extraordinary period of nice and dry the last few months. I've enjoyed it, but I need something to track. Fail tropical, foliage, and 850s can only take you so far.

It is nearly impossible to get a real snow this early. Snow that melts as fast as it falls, damp, temps in the 30's isn't very exciting IMO. I'm content to wait for the time when snow can actually be meaningful. In the meantime, I like weather that allows me to work outdoors...there's always plenty to do.

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URPN12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 23rd day of the month at 5:05Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5303
Storm Number & Year: 20 in 2015
Storm Name: Patricia (flight in the Northeast Pacific basin)
Mission Number: 3
Observation Number: 10 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )
A. Time of Center Fix: 23rd day of the month at 4:46:20Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 16°19'N 105°18'W (16.3167N 105.3W)
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,182m (7,159ft) at 700mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 146kts (~ 168.0mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 6 nautical miles (7 statute miles) to the NE (44°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 130° at 179kts (From the SE at ~ 206.0mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 4 nautical miles (5 statute miles) to the NE (46°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 894mb (26.40 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 12°C (54°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,059m (10,036ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 28°C (82°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,001m (9,846ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 11°C (52°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Closed
M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 7 nautical miles
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 0.5 nautical miles

Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 179kts (~ 206.0mph) which was observed 4 nautical miles to the NE (46°) from the flight level center at 4:45:00Z
Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 280° at 25kts (From the W at 29mph)

Hurricane Patricia in the Epac just broke Linda's pressure record.

Hopefully we get some rain from her remnants

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 6 nautical miles (7 statute miles) to the NE (44°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 130° at 179kts (From the SE at ~ 206.0mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 4 nautical miles (5 statute miles) to the NE (46°) of center fix

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 12°C (54°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,059m (10,036ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 28°C (82°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,001m (9,846ft)

K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 179kts (~ 206.0mph) which was observed 4 nautical miles to the NE (46°) from the flight level center at 4:45:00Z

Hurricane Patricia in the Epac just broke Linda's pressure record.i

v

Remarks Section:

Hurricane Patricia in the Epac just broke Linda's pressure record.

Yep she's a. beast. Pressure down to 880mb. Max sustained winds 200mph. Should remain cat 5 to landfall.

GFS doesn't seem too impressed with any real big precip events coming down the line. An inch or so over the next 10 days. There is a low cutting up west of us at day 10 though, so.....

It's a really touchy setup for models to pin down for mid week next week. I wouldn't jump on any dry or wet solutions as being right for a few more days.  Models are dealing with 2 fairly significant features melding together at medium-long leads. Typical small differences in timing and placement can have large swings in the outcome. Other than the consolidated low pressure tracking to our west (which seems very likely), it's hard to say what happens here.

My wag is we do well with precip (1"+). Could be 1 consolidated slug or 2 separate batches.  Ensembles have quite a bit of spread with some soaking the crap out of us and other solutions fairly dry. GEFS ens mean from 6z has us in the 1.25-1.5" range. 15 day ens mean has around 3". Active period coming up. Which should make Mitch very happy considering the timing of the period. 

UW - CIMSS

ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE

ADT-Version 8.2.1

Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm

----- Current Analysis -----

Date : 23 OCT 2015 Time : 124500 UTC

Lat : 17:16:57 N Lon : 105:39:35 W

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax

8.1 / 887.9mb/173.0kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#

8.1 8.3 8.3

Literally off the charts...