• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL good catch.  I think going climo by default is the "consensus",  but who are the posters calling for a blockbuster winter?

Going climo to me is pretty much a coin toss, so there really is no consensus for above normal or below normal snow or temps.

Then they are no better than NCEP with their equal chances. Grab the weenie and ballz(whole unit) and make a forecast 

I'm referring to = chances

You made the comparison that forecasting climo is like equal chances and want people to "grab the ballz" and make a forecast.  What that sounds like is you don't want someone to forecast climo (even though statistically that will be more accurate on an annual basis), and would rather they make an extreme claim one way or another.

Since when isn't someone allowed to voice their thoughts? Right or wrong? If you don't like my opinion..please don't read it

Saying someone who forecasts equal chances on a long range forecast doesn't deserve to be a met is just a plain idiotic statement and is based on pure ignorance of what goes into long range forecasts.

That kind of stuff isn't going to be posted in here. We have a higher standard for a reason on this site. Maybe go to accuwx forums if you want to have that type of discussion.

Then they are no better than NCEP with their equal chances. Grab the weenie and ballz(whole unit) and make a forecast

I don't think you get it. I'm thinking near normal snow for Boston not because it's a coin flip and an easy go to default forecast, but for a couple of reasons. I thought it was a good start. I'm not sold on a good winter on the coast and also, I don't believe in a furnace 97-98 winter. Therefore , with some educational reasoning, that is my guess. People who argue equal chances aren't always defaulting to a coin flip.

I don't think you get it. I'm thinking near normal snow for Boston not because it's a coin flip and an easy go to default forecast, but for a couple of reasons. I thought it was a good start. I'm not sold on a good winter on the coast and also, I don't believe in a furnace 97-98 winter. Therefore , with some educational reasoning, that is my guess. People who argue equal chances aren't always defaulting to a coin flip.

Thats different than equal chances. You said near normal. That is a finite number and forecast since we know what normal is. I have no problem with that.

I'm talking about when all you see is s map with blue and orange colors that says equal chances. That is not a forecast. It's ignorance

Thats different than equal chances. You said near normal. That is a finite number and forecast since we know what normal is. I have no problem with that.

I'm talking about when all you see is s map with blue and orange colors that says equal chances. That is not a forecast. It's ignorance

One is a probability map and the other is actual values. If you don't like probability maps, then avoid them...but they are a part of forecasting. They will probably become more common too.

But it's also probability because there are no clear signals. That's what those maps mean. Equal chances because in their eyes, there are no definitive reasons to lean one way or another. I agree with that. My response with near normal was a response to your posts about making a call one way or another. They actually are in those maps.

Wow. I have a migraine after reading the past couple of pages. Let's get back on track. Plenty of reasons to go normal right now, or equal chances. However, for those who like early calls, I would hedge above normal snowfall by maybe 20 percent, perhaps an average of 48 here ends up like 58-60. I don't believe we will have the same extreme cold outbreaks as last year, and temps may end up near or just below normal with perhaps an emphasis on more snow and cold during the 2nd half of winter.

The big take home here is that anyone that is making a definitive forecast either way torch or cold is out to lunch. Equal chances is a solid and reasonable call with all that's on the table. For me I see some record torches with the super warm pool off the SW. Also lots of storms coming out of the stj if that aligns with cold boom. I would say for sure I would like to be in the mountians this winter

Archived