• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

What are some thoughts regarding the rest of this month? I've heard mixed met opinions - trying to distill a solid forecast between models, climatic factors, hunches, etc. Also is there any credence to the long-range model warm bias? When one is new to this, every conclusion one draws seems contrived. Ha.

The 11-15 day feature ridging in AK and north of Siberia, lower heights ov er the west coast and a +NAO. This would argue for temps probably at least a little above normal to end the month,

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see if BOS gets a freeze...that would be impressive.

ORH should be a lock though. Here are the past 20 years of first freeze dates at ORH:

1995: 10/29

1996: 10/4

1997: 10/22

1998: 11/3

1999: 10/4

2000: 10/10

2001: 10/8

2002: 10/22

2003: 10/19

2004: 11/4

2005: 10/29

2006: 10/22

2007: 10/29

2008: 10/23

2009: 10/15

2010: 10/23

2011: 10/28

2012: 10/12

2013: 10/26

2014: 10/20

Seems like this is an October in October based on that.

Most folks see flakes in SNE Sunday morning

I get to spend my Sunday in Boston working at a couple admission open houses at the univerrsity.  I doubt I'll see any flakes other than what I might pass between Philipston and Lunenburg.

That's some solid transitory meteorology between Sunday and next Tuesday.  wow.  

I mentioned this days ago when we were scoping out this cold pattern, that my experience with this sort of the thing in October is that they often end up verifying as shorter lived ... rolling up and out into the Maritimes as fast as they come in. 

Well, here we are and the models have evolved this cool wave to be precisely that.  00z oper. Euro knocks on the door of 70 F next Tuesday after lows Sunday morning (out of the wind) should be well into the 20s!   

Pretty spectacular changeability there. 

70F on Tue looks a little optimistic...looks like a shallow mixing day like Scoot alluded to earlier.

It'll be short lived, but it's an impressive cold shot for this time of year. If anything I'd argue it's trended slightly colder over the past few days.

Monday looks chilly now after looking like a small rebound a few days ago. 

The GFS advertises one of those Lake Huron connectors along secondary frontal passage, Sunday aftn. 

Sun evening could see flakes if that panned out...by that point, we've certainly advected in very cold air in the boundary layer just aloft that even the coast would probably see some flakes if we got a few decaying streamers picked up by a vortmax.

There's been little doubt for about 2 days now that many folks will at the least see their first flakes of the season this weekend. One or 2 lucky towns could even whiten the grass. 

Monday looks like one of those days with no wind and inversion where many folks stay in the 40's..Then Tues SW winds crank and right back to AN. 

Nothing thru day 14 shows anymore cool shots unfortunately

There's been little doubt for about 2 days now that many folks will at the least see their first flakes of the season this weekend. One or 2 lucky towns could even whiten the grass.

Monday looks like one of those days with no wind and inversion where many folks stay in the 40's..Then Tues SW winds crank and right back to AN.

Nothing thru day 14 shows anymore cool shots unfortunately

Did you miss the massive ULL overhead beginning day 9?

Kev is just scared to death of the el nino, so he is a walking defense mechanism this season.

I don't remember him ever being this paranoid in October... its like if a model doesn't have a huge trough over the northeast with -2 to -3 Standard Deviation H85 temps, its a sign of the massive blowtorch Nino that is supposedly about to happen.

He knows in many of the recent winters that the real fun doesn't seem to start till well into January or early February, lol.  Got a long ways to go.

I don't remember him ever being this paranoid in October... its like if a model doesn't have a huge trough over the northeast with -2 to -3 Standard Deviation H85 temps, its a sign of the massive blowtorch Nino that is supposedly about to happen.

He knows in many of the recent winters that the real fun doesn't seem to start till well into January or early February, lol.  Got a long ways to go.

He probably thinks the average 850 temps over SNE are like 0C in mid/late October.

Sun evening could see flakes if that panned out...by that point, we've certainly advected in very cold air in the boundary layer just aloft that even the coast would probably see some flakes if we got a few decaying streamers picked up by a vortmax.

Yeah for sure. We'll have to watch that. 

Archived