• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of it is the strongest Nino thing. Some of it is what goes up , must come down( last winter) . And the mounting negative evidence we keep seeing .. All that just sits badly in my view. I'm glad you all feel so confident on big snows. I do not

Who in here said they feel confident on big snows? Link us up.

The general consensus on this board is that this is going to be a good winter. Some think it could be a very good one. I don't have time to link all the posts. Most of the other circles I've seen are not nearly as confident and sine are thinking /calling ratter. I don't know who's going to be right. All I know is I am worried and have a very bad guy feeling. Hopefully I'm dead wrong

The general consensus on this board is that this is going to be a good winter. Some think it could be a very good one. I don't have time to link all the posts. Most of the other circles I've seen are not nearly as confident and sine are thinking /calling ratter. I don't know who's going to be right. All I know is I am worried and have a very bad guy feeling. Hopefully I'm dead wrong

I have seen very little consensus in this forum on how winter is going to be. Maybe a weakish consensus for December being a mild month. Most people haven't issued a winter forecast.

We know you are super paranoid...that's fine. It doesn't mean you have to interprete discussion that is not like yours as being supremely confident in a good winter.

Having a very bad guy feeling is never good

I disagree... I don't think there's any consensus on here yet.  Folks seem to be less likely to call for a dead ratter, but likewise aren't calling for a way above normal snow winter.  This far out, the best play is not to take an extreme stand so early in the game.  Most seem to be leaning toward cimo due to various signals mixing each other out.

I disagree... I don't think there's any consensus on here yet.  Folks seem to be less likely to call for a dead ratter, but likewise aren't calling for a way above normal snow winter.  This far out, the best play is not to take an extreme stand so early in the game.  Most seem to be leaning toward cimo due to various signals mixing each other out.

Which is it? :unsure:

Please Kevin, no one knows what it's going to be at this point.  You called last year a dead rat in January with your nickle and dime idea...nothing could have been further from the final outcome.  So you see, nobody knows.  You also need to know that it isn't going to stay in the 40's and 50's in October consistantly either...we are going to have warm days still.  Are we going to be at 70-90 inches like last year, most likely not!!  Just see how things go, and don't fret so much.  

Please Kevin, no one knows what it's going to be at this point.  You called last year a dead rat in January with your nickle and dime idea...nothing could have been further from the final outcome.  So you see, nobody knows.  You also need to know that it isn't going to stay in the 40's and 50's in October consistantly either...we are going to have warm days still.  Are we going to be at 70-90 inches like last year, most likely not!!  Just see how things go, and don't fret so much.  

East of river had over 100..Noone is expecting even half that as far as i know

LOL good catch.  I think going climo by default is the "consensus",  but who are the posters calling for a blockbuster winter?

Going climo to me is pretty much a coin toss, so there really is no consensus for above normal or below normal snow or temps.

Then they are no better than NCEP with their equal chances. Grab the weenie and ballz(whole unit) and make a forecast 

lol...it's mid October.

Record highs at Hartford are in the low 70s even 3-4 weeks from now in November.   He's got a ways to go before we stop seeing 60F+.

Even today, the normal high at ORH at 1,000ft is in the low 60s...the record high says 84F for Oct 14 on NowData.  Have a couple days near 70F isn't going to be earth shattering.  Might not even put up a +10 departure.

East of river had over 100..Noone is expecting even half that as far as i know

Exactly!!  So if you had 100 and you took half, your at about Climo for the winter...which isn't bad at all.  Worrying and playing the Psych games(with yourself and others) all the time doesn't change a thing.  We all know that nobody in SNE is getting 100 plus again this year...I'll go out on a limb and say that now.  But half that isn't bad. 

Then they are no better than NCEP with their equal chances. Grab the weenie and ballz(whole unit) and make a forecast 

Equal chances is basically no signal, which is what Will has been arguing for much of these weenie winter threads. Sometimes a good forecast is near average instead of ratter or blockbuster.

But it's also a weak way out IMO

You do know that there are actually winters (and a decent amount at that), that fall within 1 standard deviation of normal?

Why is climo a weak way out?  Not every winter is a blockbuster or a ratter.  Its not like you can only forecast snow amounts of 70"+ or <40".  You can forecast 55".

I'm referring to = chances

Why are you doing that?

Archived