• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October, at the moment peering forward, a wild stormy affair?

Typhoon Tip

Bundle up.

attachicon.gif850spag.png

Wow. I'm going to be visiting my buddy on Mount Washington this weekend. He interns as an observer for the summit. Looks like it'll be cold throughout NE. I'll be sure to take some pictures around the area and post them in the foliage thread. Seriously wish I lived up there and not here in the Mid Atlantic haha

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'm going to be visiting my buddy on Mount Washington this weekend. He interns as an observer for the summit. Looks like it'll be cold throughout NE. I'll be sure to take some pictures around the area and post them in the foliage thread. Seriously wish I lived up there and not here in the Mid Atlantic haha

Come on up!  I'm sure you can find a job that doesn't require any of your meteorological skills and training and pays $10 or $11 per hour!  Seriously though, NNE is a great place to live but not necessarily the easiest place to make a living.  

MEX is 13/6 there Sunday with decently strong winds. Enjoy.

I don't see anything untoward about that write-up.  He didn't "make" anything up about what's going on with the model depictions during that time frame. 

What stands out as "bonkers" ?   

I think I figured you out finally...  you read his write-up like this:

xxx xxxxxxx xxxx x xxxxxxx xxxxx xxx xx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxx xx xx xxxxxxxx  

SNOW

xx xxxx ... 

and then went, HEEE HAA HEE HAAA HEE HAAA bonkers.

Meanwhile, everyone read it as it was, merely talking about sub-zero 850s and possible instability due to diurnal heating causing frozen in the elevations of the Berks and nothing more...  

I agree, I didn't think it was out of control/bonkers at all.  Just said exactly what may possibly occur.  Nothing seemed stretched or inflated at all. 

Said due to the leaves still on the trees; and that those winds Could mix down; and they "COULD"  lead to some damage??  From my interpretation Kevin, it didn't seem bonkers.  I did not interpret any of that as damaging winds, in fact, I know better and took it as a breezy day, with some stronger gusts, and quite cold for the time of year.  As usual, you read into it and took what you wanted out of it, and think that he was saying a widespread damaging wind event, which was not at all what he meant from that discussion!!

Said due to the leaves still on the trees; and that those winds Could mix down; and they "COULD"  lead to some damage??  From my interpretation Kevin, it didn't seem bonkers.  I did not interpret any of that as damaging winds, in fact, I know better and took it as a breezy day, with some stronger gusts, and quite cold for the time of year.  As usual, you read into it and took what you wanted out of it, and think that he was saying a widespread damaging wind event, which was not at all what he meant from that discussion!!

Yes that is exactly what he meant. Go back and read his WHOLE discussion from their website

Ok :-).  I didn't interpret that at all like you did.  In fact, I completely dismissed his wind ideas as nothing of concern.  Maybe I'm wrong then???  I didn't think it was over the top, and I didn't think it was bonkers.  You did, and maybe you're right.  I just didn't think what he  was saying/describing/discussing was a stretch from what the modeling showed.  We're all entitled to our own opinions after all.

Ok :-).  I didn't interpret that at all like you did.  In fact, I completely dismissed his wind ideas as nothing of concern.  Maybe I'm wrong then???  I didn't think it was over the top, and I didn't think it was bonkers.  You did, and maybe you're right.  I just didn't think what he  was saying/describing/discussing was a stretch from what the modeling showed.  We're all entitled to our own opinions after all.

Fair enough. Hopefully he's some semblance of correct and there's a fair amount of tree damage for folks. At least it's getting a bit more exciting in the wx dept. Something we've had 0 of since early March

I agree it has been boring as hell in the weather dept that's for sure...and for a long while.  I sure hope we get some exciting weather this upcoming cold season!!  I'm certainly not thinking any damaging winds this weekend for most places...perhaps an isolated branch or dead tree being snapped by a rogue gust, but that would be the extent imo.  But time will tell.

It'll be interesting to see if BOS gets a freeze...that would be impressive.

ORH should be a lock though. Here are the past 20 years of first freeze dates at ORH:

1995: 10/29

1996: 10/4

1997: 10/22

1998: 11/3

1999: 10/4

2000: 10/10

2001: 10/8

2002: 10/22

2003: 10/19

2004: 11/4

2005: 10/29

2006: 10/22

2007: 10/29

2008: 10/23

2009: 10/15

2010: 10/23

2011: 10/28

2012: 10/12

2013: 10/26

2014: 10/20

It's kind of a torch anyway at the surface in that inv trough setup. Temps in the 40s.

Didn't see 900-925mb temps, but the way it looks, it doesn't seem cold enough for snow. Maybe some mangled flakes higher terrain if that setup panned out.

It's kind of a torch anyway at the surface in that inv trough setup. Temps in the 40s.

Didn't see 900-925mb temps, but the way it looks, it doesn't seem cold enough for snow. Maybe some mangled flakes higher terrain if that setup panned out.

925 dropped to 0C around 12z Sunday for BOS. But, precip may begin to shut off as winds go NW. Probably would be some flakes if it came down hard enough with such cold aloft inland..but of course the euro may be overzealous with these.

What are some thoughts regarding the rest of this month? I've heard mixed met opinions - trying to distill a solid forecast between models, climatic factors, hunches, etc. Also is there any credence to the long-range model warm bias? When one is new to this, every conclusion one draws seems contrived. Ha.

Archived