Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have a "member's only" jacket in a box around here somewhere..... Ah, those were the "good-ole-days". Can I order a March 2, 1980....along with a Jan 8th, 1988 please? While you're at it, throw in a Jan 1987 too.

Your area in NC must have had 2 feet or more snow in Jan 1987. We got 1 storm down here that month, but it was too warm for the other 2.

Sounds familiar....

QBO is already +7, -NAO unlikely for #Winter 2015-2016, blocking will need to come from NPAC. #weather #climate #wx

I don't think we'll have a -NAO either, but not because Al Marinaro says so.  His model, as honked by DT all over facebook last year, had the NAO in the toilet for the winter.  Nassomuch.  I think we won't have one because not having one seemingly every year has made me pessimistic.  For whatever reason, the atmosphere just doesn't want to set up a predominate -NAO state for the winter.  However, it seems to have no problem with doing it for the entire summer.

I don't think we'll have a -NAO either, but not because Al Marinaro says so.  His model, as honked by DT all over facebook last year, had the NAO in the toilet for the winter.  Nassomuch.  I think we won't have one because not having one seemingly every year has made me pessimistic.  For whatever reason, the atmosphere just doesn't want to set up a predominate -NAO state for the winter.  However, it seems to have no problem with doing it for the entire summer.

I saw that, 2-1 odds of a +NAO. I will take a 1/3 chance of a -NAO, last year was a slam dunk -AO and we know how that worked out.

I'm curious.. Overall, are the signs of a cold, snowy winter for the SE greater than last year at this time?

Depends on the signs. Several seasonal models show colder and wetter, but we need to see how this strong Nino continues to evolve through the fall as well as the PDO, QBO, and Eurasian snowcover....not to mention any big east coast October snowstorms! :o:

Depends on the signs. Several seasonal models show colder and wetter, but we need to see how this strong Nino continues to evolve through the fall as well as the PDO, QBO, and Eurasian snowcover....not to mention any big east coast October snowstorms! :o:

I think with Oct showing a low just setting up south of the Aleutians is a good sign. Lots of cold/snowy Nino analogs with that precursor, specifically some 2nd year. Oct 97 didn't have that.

If El Niño is strong as advertisesd , then pacific warm air floods country . That will mean a lot of unhappy people around here

It doesn't make any difference whatsoever how strong the Nino is as far as the Pacific warm air is concerned. What really matters is "where" the Aleutian low sets up for DJF. If it sets up as far west as most guidance suggest then times will be fun. The further east it is for DJF the worse unless there is good NAO blocking.  Since I don't expect that then we really need it further west.

Sample size is very small & we can't say the same old lingo, that the stronger the Nino the further east Aleutian trough...bologna.  Very small sample size & very difficult to determine that.

It's a long nino east to west. If I get tome I'll post a graph but it's really spread out over several regions. It's going to be a big factor and want start fading away till next spring. The stj is in great shape to provide the moisture this winter, all we can stomach. Just need to get the table set up right in the northern pacific. That's the whole key piece to the puzzle this winter. All eyes should be on it.

Wow, what happened to our strong Nino, from that graph it looks to be weaker than it was last winter?  At least in that region....

Region 4 doesn't get as warm as the other regions. It's currently at (warm) record levels. 

Archived