joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't have a very cold look. More of a cool look due to the cloudiness we will likely experience from the active STJ. If it was a cold look the 500mb pattern would look much different.

Looks like 57-58 to me. Also very close to JAMSTEC.

That's a cold, snowy winter. I have no clue what your looking at. Deep, cold Arctic air is usually less during Cold Nino winters (2002-03) but below normal temps for the average of DJF & above normal precip is a very good winter outlook if you like winter.

And that particular update is a bummer fir those desiring a torch Nino winter.

That's a cold, snowy winter. I have no clue what your looking at. Deep, cold Arctic air is usually less during Cold Nino winters (2002-03) but below normal temps for the average of DJF & above normal precip is a very good winter outlook if you like winter.

You're wasting your time.

I don't see a trof over the east in that 500mb pattern. It looks stormy but not deep arctic cold. JMO. I don't see a Nino torch either. I haven't been calling for that this year. I see a flood of pacific air this winter which will lead to lots of cloudiness and cooler than normal temps but I think we will be missing the arctic cold for the most part this year. Again JMO. I think those charts illustrate this description pretty well. I don't think that equals a cold and snowy winter. I'm not saying I think we torch and will get no storms.

I don't see a trof over the east in that 500mb pattern. It looks stormy but not deep arctic cold. JMO. I don't see a Nino torch either. I haven't been calling for that this year. I see a flood of pacific air this winter which will lead to lots of cloudiness and cooler than normal temps but I think we will be missing the arctic cold for the most part this year. Again JMO. I think those charts illustrate this description pretty well. I don't think that equals a cold and snowy winter. I'm not saying I think we torch and will get no storms.

Do you see a trough in this 500mb pattern?

453VziYTIr.png

What did that winter look like:

ohAYdUTLL8.png

The SST CA forecast is weatherbell's winter forecast to a tee...whether I agree with there forecast or not.

Please remember that above normal anomalies over Canada is still cold air compared to our averages. We didn't have many Arctic outbreaks at all in 2003-03 but it was a great snowy winter in my neck of the woods. I'm using 2002-03 as a comparison that you don't have to have the severe Arctic blasts like the last 2 winters to have a great winter. 2009-10 is also a good comparison of not huge Arctic outbreaks compared to the last 2 years but a cold, snowy winter nonetheless.

Now, we have no clue what will actually happen but if the SST CA update takes place, winter weather lovers will love, love, love it.

EDIT: Maps above for comparison ONLY. I'm not calling for a 2009-10 winter.

A temp departure for DJF of -2 - -3 is a pretty decent departure.  With ridging/blocking up north, depending on where it sets up, large highs can be created then migrate south.  Yeah, temps up north look above normal, but above normal up there can still be below normal here, with the proper delivery mechanism in place.  The images posted above do not show an ice box winter here with snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm, but they do show a look that should feature above normal snowfall for the southeast.

Don't get me wrong, with such a strong nino, I'm still skeptical of a good winter, but to argue that the charts above show a bad winter here is a little far-fetched.

1. Model(L) Our top 5 weighted analogs follow, forecast issued last week for winter. Pretty good agreement

CODnsUkUwAERsP8.png
    CODnsV7U8AA0ryB.png
    CODnsrxVEAA4aXE.png

1. Model(L) Our top 5 weighted analogs follow, forecast issued last week for winter. Pretty good agreement pic.twitter.com/lkcWeG2nf5

1. When I see objective model, subjective analogs agreeing it means we are likely on a good path, and gives us a chance to be right

I dont think any event in the atmosphere in the future is a lock, no matter how "sure" I think I am.

I think Joe puts his all into his work, and admits when he's wrong! Although he may hang on to a failing forecast too long sometimes!!! It's always good to see a model come toward your Idea whether you will be right or not....... JMO 

A temp departure for DJF of -2 - -3 is a pretty decent departure.  With ridging/blocking up north, depending on where it sets up, large highs can be created then migrate south.  Yeah, temps up north look above normal, but above normal up there can still be below normal here, with the proper delivery mechanism in place.  The images posted above do not show an ice box winter here with snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm, but they do show a look that should feature above normal snowfall for the southeast.

Don't get me wrong, with such a strong nino, I'm still skeptical of a good winter, but to argue that the charts above show a bad winter here is a little far-fetched.

Yes, yes and yes.    Although I would change "little far-fetched" to what it truly is..."dumb".  If we get that 500mb pattern it will be cold and snowy, atleast here.

No doubt!  You guys are going to clean up this winter, this is setting up perfectly for your area....#KOD.

We're going to have to start seeing terms like Biblical and Historic much more frequently if we are going to get any snow this winter!  And you are not allowed to have an Avatar this winter.  Last year, it jinxed us.

We're going to have to start seeing terms like Biblical and Historic much more frequently if we are going to get any snow this winter!  And you are not allowed to have an Avatar this winter.  Last year, it jinxed us.

No avatars!

Yeah I agree Pack. The mountains look real good as far as I can tell.

Yep, just looking at previous strong+ nino's it's better than average for a solid/snowy winter for the w-NC/VA.

Archived