• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

Robert had a post on Facebook yesterday that said Greer sc to Winston-Salem NC, to DC, should invest in a snow shove and ice scraperl for this winter! His reasoning was that hot, droughty summers followed by ninos, bring alot of snow and ice to these regions! Giddyyuuppp!

Can it come about 25 more miles south west?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should rename this thead the echo chamber. It's pretty clear any opinion that isn't a banner year isn't welcome.

Not true...if you read my comments I agree with you. I don't think it will be a year of deep cold like the last 2 winters but could be still cold & snowy.

With that said it's early...and with such a strong Nino it's always possible to get torched. Even the colder winter forecasts like JAMSTEC, SST CA, NASA, WEATHERBELL...all have a torch DEC followed by colder conditions 2nd half of JAN through MAR. The analog blend I used does the same.

No problems here...keep posting your thoughts. We're all supposed to be objective

Robert had a post on Facebook yesterday that said Greer sc to Winston-Salem NC, to DC, should invest in a snow shove and ice scraperl for this winter! His reasoning was that hot, droughty summers followed by ninos, bring alot of snow and ice to these regions! Giddyyuuppp!

He said from Greer to Asheville to W-S, etc. I think that area between the upstate and Asheville, in the mountains somewhere near Hendersonville, Mills River and Brevard, will be the hotspot.

El Nino and all... there will be multiple chances at big Winter storms for many of us in the South this year.  Eventually, the cold will be in place for the a storm or two at some point after December I'd assume.

Why wait until after December ? How about IN December ? In the el nino of 97-98, we had our only snowfall of the winter in December.

Why wait until after December ? How about IN December ? In the el nino of 97-98, we had our only snowfall of the winter in December.

Haven't looked too much into it, but it seems we'd have a better chance of cold/wet combo into Jan and Feb.  I saw some articles about this Nino possibly rivaling that one from those years though.

:wub:

We always have a better chance of wet and cold Jan into Feb. Winter has that effect :lol::P

True that.  Some of the maps I saw had December being mild or something like that around here.  I am looking forwards to El Nino taking hold and giving us more systems to work with.  Still some question to if it keeps on or weakens.. but overall it seems to be here.

Just got my copy of the almanac! They actually said : " we believe it js more likely that the El Niño will be in a weak to neutral phase!"

Big LOL

Jim Gandy (pretty good met who's been around a long time) from WLTX(CAE) had posted a guest blog  here about how the Farmer's Almanac (either of them) isn't quite right:

http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2014/02/28/did-the-farmers-almanac-winter-forecast-verify-nope/

Now when it comes to old school tactics and all that good stuff, these books have been a great resource for people, but I agree with the blog post.

Archived