joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have any of these cities ever had a 50" winter ? I know Atlanta probably gets 50" combined over a 25 year period.

I would guess no, RDU highest is 32" and has only been over 20" 5 times in the past 130 years.  Though we have had a bunch of seasons between 10-20".  We typically get a 10"+ season every 3 or so years but it's been since 04 which is the longest stretch I have on record (130 years).

I would guess no, RDU highest is 32" and has only been over 20" 5 times in the past 130 years.  Though we have had a bunch of seasons between 10-20".  We typically get a 10"+ season every 3 or so years but it's been since 04 which is the longest stretch I have on record (130 years).

1960 was as close to a 50 inch winter as we will get. I believe in my area there was around 35 inches

While this Nino configuration isn't perfect, I would say this winter has a pretty decent chance at being a good one throughout the SE. Better than any in the last 5 years IMHO.

I would be pretty optimistic if I lived south of VA. It's probably safe to say the Atlantic will cooperate more than it has recently. Kinda easy odds there though because it sure has stunk the last 2 years.

While this Nino configuration isn't perfect, I would say this winter has a pretty decent chance at being a good one throughout the SE. Better than any in the last 5 years IMHO.

I would be pretty optimistic if I lived south of VA. It's probably safe to say the Atlantic will cooperate more than it has recently. Kinda easy odds there though because it sure has stunk the last 2 years.

No reason this couldn't be a 09/10 redux on HGH. Better odds on that than a 98 blowtorch, but that would be fun to see these boards this winter if we blowtorch. For central NC we can do well with strong ENSO, not a whole I would change at this point. #KOD.

1960 was as close to a 50 inch winter as we will get. I believe in my area there was around 35 inches

I'm sure if we had 2000 years of records there would be one year with >50 inches.We've had single storms that dropped half that value. No reason why there couldn't be two of those storms in one year. But, the odds of one of us (outside elevation) seeing that in our lifetime are very low. I have to add, we live in a very unique area weather wise; we can have a year were we get a big dog storm that rivals anything the NE gets, or we can get nothing at all.   

No reason this couldn't be a 09/10 redux on HGH. Better odds on that than a 98 blowtorch, but that would be fun to see these boards this winter if we blowtorch. For central NC we can do well with strong ENSO, not a whole I would change at this point. #KOD.

There's really not much left to speculate on until we get into mid-late Nov and see how the npac is doing. I haven't been posting about winter much at all this month.

Even if it sucks going into Dec it really doesn't mean much unless there is a beast in a bad spot. Matt (zwyts) in our sub forum has said for years "give me a strong or super nino and take our chances.". That's exactly what we have this year. Some folks are getting caught up in fine details this fall but imho I don't think anything means much one way or another right now. There is potential to be great and conversely there is potential to suck really bad. But which side things go really can't be predicted at all at long leads. I really don't think a door to door raging AO/NAO is in the cards this year. Jury will be out on that for a while. 

One thing is certain, where we are right now sure beats the heck out of a strong Nina. If winter ends up a dud then so be it. But until there's no denying a hot mess (prob can't make that call until Feb) we should all be keeping our chins up. I ready for some big storms either way. There's nothing like tracking a couple solid miller A's on this board. The energy overflows. 

There's really not much left to speculate on until we get into mid-late Nov and see how the npac is doing. I haven't been posting about winter much at all this month.

Even if it sucks going into Dec it really doesn't mean much unless there is a beast in a bad spot. Matt (zwyts) in our sub forum has said for years "give me a strong or super nino and take our chances.". That's exactly what we have this year. Some folks are getting caught up in fine details this fall but imho I don't think anything means much one way or another right now. There is potential to be great and conversely there is potential to suck really bad. But which side things go really can't be predicted at all at long leads. I really don't think a door to door raging AO/NAO is in the cards this year. Jury will be out on that for a while. 

One thing is certain, where we are right now sure beats the heck out of a strong Nina. If winter ends up a dud then so be it. But until there's no denying a hot mess (prob can't make that call until Feb) we should all be keeping our chins up. I ready for some big storms either way. There's nothing like tracking a couple solid miller A's on this board. The energy overflows. 

Agree and agree, why I wouldn't change much at this point.  You see DT's writeup today, it was interesting...

There's really not much left to speculate on until we get into mid-late Nov and see how the npac is doing. 

Speculators gonna speculate  :)  

Agree and agree, why I wouldn't change much at this point.  You see DT's writeup today, it was interesting...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxriskcom/strongest-el-nino-ever-/921344634579462

It's a little tricky when looking at various SST data sets and which ones are used to initialize the models.  No opinion on his forecast thoughts, but I disagree with saying that this nino may be "moderate and weakening this winter".  As of right now, this nino is keeping pace with 97-98 in the nino 3.4 region, with no signs of weakening in the near term.  The ONI for 97-98 peaked in OND & NDJ (+2.3) before weakening thereafter.  The Sept IRI 26 model ensemble average has a +2.4 peak in OND & NDJ before weakening.  Again, there are various SST data sets used for model initialization, but I don't see any way that this nino won't be categorized as one that is strong to very strong for winter purposes.

The thing about DT's disco about weakening is that almost all Nino's weaken as you move through winter. Mid-late fall peak is most common as well. He's kinda insulated from making that statement. Odds strongly favor a consistent decline through winter so the only real question is how much and whether it's unusual or typical. At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. Feb is the absolute safest month to call for cold and/or snow. Basically standard Nino climo. If we roast/fail through all of Dec/Jan it's going to be hard to read both of our subforums. 

The thing about DT's disco about weakening is that almost all Nino's weaken as you move through winter. Mid-late fall peak is most common as well. He's kinda insulated from making that statement. Odds strongly favor a consistent decline through winter so the only real question is how much and whether it's unusual or typical. At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. Feb is the absolute safest month to call for cold and/or snow. Basically standard Nino climo. If we roast/fail through all of Dec/Jan it's going to be hard to read both of our subforums

The comedy itself will be worth it...

The thing about DT's disco about weakening is that almost all Nino's weaken as you move through winter. Mid-late fall peak is most common as well. He's kinda insulated from making that statement. Odds strongly favor a consistent decline through winter so the only real question is how much and whether it's unusual or typical. At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. Feb is the absolute safest month to call for cold and/or snow. Basically standard Nino climo. If we roast/fail through all of Dec/Jan it's going to be hard to read both of our subforums. 

That's pretty much what I am expecting.

Can't get  much worse :lol:

Honestly, it doesn't even matter if the ao/nao end up + on the averages as long as there are multiple flips from + to - and vice versa. Phase flips are the prime windows in both the MA and SE. Another door to door + suckfest won't do any of us any favors this winter. I don't there there is much chance if any that the EPO overwhelms again. Well....at least not a - epo...[runs for cover]

Archived