joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like today's Euro seasonal at 500mb for winter has an Aleutian Low, NW Canadian ridging, and split flow with lower heights across the south (more moderate nino like than strong nino)...but +NAO.  Pacific pattern sounds very good, Atlantic pattern not so much.  All in all, the seasonal modeling has looked quite good thus far, minus the CFS.

Was reading back through my initial post in this thread from late July, and.......I still it like...can't think of anything I'd change at this point.  We'll see what happens going into October as we kick out of summer mode and into fall El Nino mode.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46672-winter-15-16-discussion/?p=3637122

Could be right. It really gets to the point that we really don't know how this winter will end up. Yes, we'll probably get more moisture (el nino) but the temps are the wild card.

Ummm..

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2_fcst_history/201409/htmls/usT2me3Sea.html

cd64.102.249.6.257.9.50.23.prcp.png

So that was the forecast the model had at this same point last year? If so, just looking at RDU it did ok until February. December and January washed each other out to neutral but February was 9 degrees below normal.  But it's hard when looking at single three month forecast maps.

I'm not really going with any modeling.  I like the idea of an El Nino during Winter for the Southeast as a whole.  More storm chances bring more chances for them to meet up with the cold air vs less storms.

Looking forward to the upcoming Winter season.  Down my way, may have to wait until Mid Jan-Late Feb though.  If I were a betting man, I'd suggest there will be quite a few Winter storm chances this year.  Some for many of us who are used to being right on the "outside" looking in.

I surely learned to not put too much into pre-season forecasts and analogs after last year.  Just the overall El Nino is good enough for me.

The warmest and least snowiest scenario will most likely end up correct...especially with a strong Nino!

But 2 of our most epic winters came during the strong El Ninos of 82-83 and 91-92 ! I would say chances are extremely high that we will get more snow this winter than last winter. In fact, it's almost a guarantee ! 

Archived