• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

I also like the "dry" part of the forecast from CA to AL!! They must really do good research on their

" secret" formula for predicting weather! Brick could tell you that a niño will bring wet across the whole southern third of the country!

Sad thing is that there's a lot of people that blindly believe in these crap forecast.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Falls, that's the Farmers Almanac, not to be confused with the Old Farmer's Almanac. Here's the map for the Old Farmer's Almanac, which unfortunately will have us frequently hearing the term "Mid-South winter". :( :(

winter2015580.jpg

this map is so funny, especially if you live in and around atlanta. For my area, " normal temps and dry". Northern suburbs, " cold and snowy". South and east suburbs " cold and wet". Just incredible. Normal temps and dry here and a cold and snowy winter 10 miles to my north. Did a 4 year old draw this map ??

this map is so funny, especially if you live in and around atlanta. For my area, " normal temps and dry". Northern suburbs, " cold and snowy". South and east suburbs " cold and wet". Just incredible. Normal temps and dry here and a cold and snowy winter 10 miles to my north. Did a 4 year old draw this map ??

Lol, yeah their maps are terrible, perennially.

I'm on board for a good winter for a good chunk of the SE! Above normal snow/Ice, not sure about the cold? Think it may be a lot of marginal cold. probably not much very cold air..... I can see a lot of 35-40 degree rains  :cry:  But just one or two cold enough and we're above normal in the snow/ice.... Says my gut!!!  That's my winter forecast, took me 5 minutes to come up with it... lol  Good Luck everyone! Hope you all get some snow.  :snowing: Thanks for taking the time to read this well thought out forecast....

EDIT: May update sometime before February! 

^ Falls, that's the Farmers Almanac, not to be confused with the Old Farmer's Almanac.  Here's the map for the Old Farmer's Almanac, which unfortunately will have us frequently hearing the term "Mid-South winter". :( :(

attachicon.gifwinter2015580.jpg

Not to worry, they had cold and snowy centered in the Southeast last year, as did most sources, and they missed that.

Yeah but you have to realize, there is going to be a dividing line somewhere and the Atlanta Metro area is as large as the whole Upstate of South Carolina, so that's not as strange as it may seem.

Ok....here we go. I'll stick my neck out.  Here's my favorite analog years for this winter.  3 of them are the favorites of a very objective, knowledgeable person I know.  So...that gives me a little confidence:

The years are: 1957-58, 1972-73, 1982-83, 1986-87, 2009-10

Some of these years I chose for ENSO forcing reasons only.  Some location, one based on the strength of the EL NINO alone (82-83).  Other years were chosen based on Pacific & Atlantic state.  Others due to high latitude blocking. Of course...one will look in vain for perfectly matching analogs for the current global state right now.

1982-83 is a risk for this analog compilation for the simple fact the NAO was very positive.  I do not expect that, but I do like it for ENSO purposes. If NAO was a little closer to neutral it would've be a much more helpful analog.  If you take that year away the analog looks similar to JAMSTEC August update.

1997-98 was not chosen as an analog for the due fact it was a fireball, east-based El Nino.  Regions 1 & 2 were unbelievably warm.  The evolution of this Nino does not resemble the evolution of that Nino at all at this point.

Anyway, here we go.

ENSO REGIONS:

bu1bZM0h.png

DJF TEMP ANOMALY:

KPIMQzCEom.png

PRECIP

TP9aNMGZN5.png

500mb

zuRIzWhMr9.png

Still just having fun right now.  The direction of things can change quick & therefore analog years can change also by NOV.

What should we use in lieu of analogs Gainesville?

Persimmon seeds! Have about the same accuracy! The flaw in analogs is they are suppose to be a guide, they are horribly incorrect most times because there are so many variables and no two events are ever exactly the same. That's why the models can hardly get a 3-5 day forecast right, much less looking at the past to predict the future.

Persimmon seeds! Have about the same accuracy! The flaw in analogs is they are suppose to be a guide, they are horribly incorrect most times because there are so many variables and no two events are ever exactly the same. That's why the models can hardly get a 3-5 day forecast right, much less looking at the past to predict the future.

Couldn't even get storm forecasts right the day they were supposed to happen this year.

That's how they are used....as a guide

Ok....here we go. I'll stick my neck out.  Here's my favorite analog years for this winter.  3 of them are the favorites of a very objective, knowledgeable person I know.  So...that gives me a little confidence:

The years are: 1957-58, 1972-73, 1982-83, 1986-87, 2009-10

Some of these years I chose for ENSO forcing reasons only.  Some location, one based on the strength of the EL NINO alone (82-83).  Other years were chosen based on Pacific & Atlantic state.  Others due to high latitude blocking. Of course...one will look in vain for perfectly matching analogs for the current global state right now.

1982-83 is a risk for this analog compilation for the simple fact the NAO was very positive.  I do not expect that, but I do like it for ENSO purposes. If NAO was a little closer to neutral it would've be a much more helpful analog.  If you take that year away the analog looks similar to JAMSTEC August update.

1997-98 was not chosen as an analog for the due fact it was a fireball, east-based El Nino.  Regions 1 & 2 were unbelievably warm.  The evolution of this Nino does not resemble the evolution of that Nino at all at this point.

Anyway, here we go.

ENSO REGIONS:

bu1bZM0h.png

DJF TEMP ANOMALY:

KPIMQzCEom.png

PRECIP

TP9aNMGZN5.png

500mb

zuRIzWhMr9.png

Still just having fun right now.  The direction of things can change quick & therefore analog years can change also by NOV.

Here's the month by month breakdown using the same analogs:

DEC

zCzLHSH.png

JAN

tMCsR8t.png

FEB

sZMdhFC.png

Archived